35 weeks prego: epidural or meds?

I'm really half and half on this... which would work best for pain? Also, I don't want to use the needle unless I have to... but if I'm on meds, will I have to have an IV the entire time??

I want to be able to walk about without having some tubes stuck to me.... thanks!

The time is almost here and I want to know what I want to do before then. :)

soulmeetsbody19

Asked by soulmeetsbody19 at 2:15 AM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Pregnancy

• With either, you have to have an IV. So keep that in mind. The meds just take the edge off, whereas an epidural takes most (no always all!!!) of the pain away. You won't be able to move around with an epidural, and you'll be catheterized. The meds you can generally only take 3 times, and not when you're close to pushing. Discuss with your provider their policies, and figure out which will better meet your goals. Good luck!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:21 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I say epidural all the way! But I would talk to your dr about which u think is best.
    DomsMama07

Answer by DomsMama07 at 2:16 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I got an epidural with my first two, and a complete spinal block with my third.
    I am very much for an epidural. The pain was entirely too much for me to deal with personally.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:18 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• If your contractions are anything like mine were with my first born, you definitely wanna go with the epidural. I had meds but the contractions got so bad that I tried the epidural, even though I couldn't keep it in because of bad side effects. I ended up getting a c-section though, so I got a spinal and that worked great! I couldn't feel anything below my neck until about 20 or 30 mins after I delivered my son lol.
    tiffanynichols

Answer by tiffanynichols at 2:21 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• It is not necessary to have an IV if you do not have medications, including pitocin. I did not have one and I had my first at St. Jude in Fullerton Ca. You just need to make sure you are keeping hydrated by drinking enough water/juice. However, some hospitals have policies that "require" an IV regardless, but you do not have to consent to one.

IV medications are usually narcotics, which are classified as depressents, and directly affect the baby (some babies reqire Narcan if born too soon after meds were introduced into their system). Narcotics can also make your feel loopy. With an epi, first you have to have 2-3 bags of fluids in your IV before you can even get one, and the epi medications do not pass to baby as directly, however they are still effected. The fact that an epi leaves you totally immobile requires that you birth on your back can compress your pelvis and not allow it to expand enough to birth your baby.
    squish

Answer by squish at 3:08 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• OR you can opt for risk-free alternatives.

I wouldn't want any drugs for myself/my baby, there are plenty of other options available.

If you had to pick from those then the IV because you can get off them sooner and get out of bed!
    ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:49 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I say SCREW the pain meds. I had them after being in labor all day and wanted to try to get some sleep. It just felt like I was having a constant contraction because I would sleep for two minutes between them. It was terrible. I finally gave in and got an epi at 8 am and slept for four hours. I was 10 cms an hour later, and an hour after that the baby was born.

I'll be getting an epidural this time as well. I want to be up and laboring until I hit about 7-8 cms, and then give me the epi! LOL
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 4:42 PM on Mar. 24, 2011