If a man is paying child support should he get an itemized report on what the money was spent on ? maybe a child support debit card?

too many women use their child support money (fraud) on shopping sprees and their "new boyfriend" fund.

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 3:28 AM on Mar. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• No! I mean, the mothers have to spend their own money until they get the child support, not half of whatever is owed. They can't buy half a shirt, or half a pair of shoes and wait for the cs money to come in. So the cs they get offsets whatever extra they had to put in, so if the mom had to spend her gas money, or money for the dentist, or even her money to get her nails done, she can take that back out of the cs. It's meant for rent or house payments, food, transportation, clothing, etc, so if the mom has already paid all those things, she's just getting back her half of the $ when cs comes in.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:05 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• i say yes or some thing of the sort. i know not all moms are the same i say this due to i knew exactly what my mother spent our child support on...lets just say those diamond earrings and nice coats went great with our cheep mac and cheese!
    KittyTussand

Answer by KittyTussand at 3:55 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• No. I seriously wish I could downvote a question. Moms can use child support to pay rent, mortgage, utilities, etc because those are all part of taking care of the child. When my ex was actually paying child support I never kept an account of the monies, it went straight into my bank account but I can assure you I spent way more on my kids than double whatever he had to pay. I have seen very few mothers who didn't spend the money on their kid.

Answer by missanc at 8:14 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I know in Michigan, my friend was automatically set up to receive it on a child support card, and to get any money out, she has to pay fees at an ATM or use it freely as a credit card where she shops. She writes checks for all of her bills, and will use the card (and keep in mind that he pays $75 a MONTH, so its never worth much), to pay for gas, a meal out, or whatever.

I would hardly say that that $75 is being misused if she decides to use it buying herself something or on gas...that $75 is not going to cover the child's portion of the $600/month rent or $200 utility bill, or his $50 karate lessons, or his portion of the grocery bill, his clothes, pictures, and everything else he is provided by his mother.

If we are going to start itemizing things, I would suggest NOT looking at the child support card receipt, and look at what comes in from each parent, and what goes out. I doubt you'll find single mothers blowing funds!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:19 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Hm, I don't think so. Most mothers know to use this money on things for the kids. Now, if the mom keeps complaining for more money more money, maybe they need to look at what she is spending it on. If the father has an issue with what the mother spends the money on maybe he can somehow make it so he pays for specific things, i.e daycare, medical, that way he KNOWS where the money is going.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 3:32 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Not all mom do that .

Answer by louise2 at 5:40 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I say yes. While I know that not ALL mothers who recieve support for the children spend it on themselves, there are quite a lot that abuse the money (like my DH's ex). The money is paid to support THE CHILD, NOT THE MOTHER, and if she is spending it on herself, she should have to pay the father back. Same goes for fathers who get support from the mother. If the parent cannot spend the support on the child, they should not recieve that support.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 5:47 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• No he shouldn't. Child support pays for things like rent, utilities, food, clothes, medical needs, school fees, insurance, etc. that mom pays for when they are due. Child support generally comes in once a month and regardless of how that lump sum is spent it definitely offsets some of the money mom has spent for the above mentioned items. I never received child support in 16 years for 2 children and I struggled every month. If my ex would have ever given me money it would have just gone into the general fund and I would have never offered him any kind of accountability for it.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:27 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Child support is NOT to buy the child THINGS. Child support is to help pay for food, rent, electric, cable. It is also to help with keeping the car maintained, to pay car insurance and for house maintence as well. How on earth do you propose itemizing this? I see it now. You eat ramen noodles and your child is eating steak and lobster. You have to separate your food and your child's food and pay for it separately at the store.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:46 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• on themselves, it really means that the cs gives the custodial parent the freedom to afford things for the kids AND themselves sometimes. By the logic of some of you my father did not deserve child support since he could support us on his own and as a child raised by a single parent that saw how much he sacrificed for my and my brother I really resent that logic.
    Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 1:11 PM on Mar. 24, 2011