Would you be mad?

I recently submitted that my husband and I had a beautiful baby daughter late last year to our college alumni newsletter. My husband's job took us to the East Coast and I am desperately missing Minnesota, where I am originally from. My husband and I named our daughter Anoka Noiree after my hometown and my husband's favorite aunt.

Then I received horrible news from an old friend back in Minnesota. One of my college classmates apparently thought it ok to make fun of the new addition to the family in an essay that was published in an alternative newspaper in Minneapolis. This is what he wrote:

"I often thought that my college classmates were not the brightest people. My suspicions seem to be confirmed every time I read the names in the birth section of the _______ College alumni newsletter. It seems that there may be an unannounced competition among the alumni corps to come up with the most ridiculous names for children. Here are some recent examples:

Anniston (And her siblings will be Kudrow and LeBlanc)
Expression (That's a name?)
Kaiyllee (Don't the people realize the vowels cost money on Wheel of Fortune?)
Myldred (She may sound like an old lady, but she has got a hip, new, stupid spelling)

But this takes the cake . . .

Anoka

Seriously, what idiot names there kid after a random Minneapolis suburb? What will her (his? - who even knows) siblings be named. Chaska? Chanhassen? Inver Grove Heights? The Rand McNally road atlas in NOT a baby name.

Anoka? Seriously?

Do you think I can go after the newspaper for violating my privacy? How about my classmates?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:33 AM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Baby Names

• I don't know what or if you can do anything legal about them making fun of your daughter's name, but I would just ignore them, consider the source from where it came. This person who posted that has really got a serious problem.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 3:40 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I would just laugh it off. Is there any way to reply, is it posted on-line or anything? It sounds like basic high-school crap, if you get angry and make a big deal out of it so will this person and you will just be feeding into them and give them more to talk about. I highly doubt there is any case for slander or any case for anything here at all, they make fun of celebrity baby names in the media all the time (Apple, Maddox, Kingston), just to name a few.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 3:48 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Oh..
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 4:30 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• He did not mention you specifically. Just the childs name.

Answer by louise2 at 5:55 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• don't let it bother you, and there is nothing oyu can do if your name wasn't mentioned.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 6:10 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I'm pretty sure that there is nothing you can do legally, as this would presumably be covered by that whole freedom of speech thing. However, I totally understand why that would hurt or upset you. I know that not everyone is going to like the names we choose (my daughters have more unique names as well, and yes, I've heard comments about them) but to have it published in a paper is taking it to another level. But for your sake, just try to let it go. It's crappy and rude, and he was just writing it to try to get a laugh out of his readers, not to try to hurt you personally. I'm sure he never imagined you would hear about it. And if he didn't care if you heard about it, then he's a dick anyway. Sorry this happened!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:09 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I highly doubt there's anything you can do about it legally, but I would just brush it off and ignore that dumbass. If making fun of children's names is all that guy can find to write about, well that shows you how much of a life he has and how ignorant he is. He probably won't be the first person to make a rude comment about your daughter's name. People love to poke fun at uncommon names. If your name isn't Ashley, Jessica, Jennifer, Amanda, etc you're too different and weird according to some people. If there's someway to reply to the article he wrote or maybe personally send him an e-mail, I'do it to express my feelings to him and let him know that was very inappropriate.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 8:27 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• He was just stating his opinion. Your child's name is unique and unique names bring out the beast in some people.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 9:53 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I would write to the newspaper editor, explaining who you are, and how offended you were by the article. Explain why you named your daughter that, and let him know how tasteless and classless that article was.
    Id be pissed and rip him a new one!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 1:49 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Well, I of course see why you're upset, that's not very nice at all. And the name isn't traditional but it makes for a very pretty name nonetheless. I doubt there is anything you can do legally, but if it were me I would take a page from my Mom and send that writer on a nice guilt trip. I would send an email about how hurtful that is, and explain the reasoning behind the name. Or even write in to the publication, explain how you were motivated by homesickness and a strong affection for your great home state and hometown, not by your stupidity as the writer implies . Basically, my goal would be to make him look like a jerk for picking on me, and a cute little baby girl, for something that was genuine and heartfelt. That would be my approach, maybe not as mature as taking the high road, but what can you do? For the record, I think it's a really pretty name and a nice reason that you chose to give her the name in the first place.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:23 PM on Mar. 24, 2011