How many hrs a day do you let your little one watch tv?

He loves veggie tales and the older kids baby Einstiens..... How much should he watch a day?

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 9:48 AM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have a bad habit of leaving my television on all day for some background noise. My daughter will put in a lot of her movies, but as far as sitting down and actually watching them, she just isn't interested. I would say she is actually WATCHING TV less than an hour a day. I don't think it is necessarily bad as long as the kids are still being active and enjoying a variety of activities. And there definitely are educational shows/videos out there that probably do more good than harm.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 1:38 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• My daughter is only 11 months and loves the baby einstien movies and Mickey Mouse Club House. I usually dont let her watch more than an hour a day. But you have to find out what works for you. As long as you arent using the TV as a babysitter. I think they get more out of it if your sitting there with them and pointing things out, siging the songs they sing, doing the things they do (like patting your lap to make rocket go). Of course, sitting there with them the whole time isnt always possible.
    newmommy1201

Answer by newmommy1201 at 11:59 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• My twins are 15 months, and at this point I don't really encourage them to watch tv at all. If your baby is already 2, then a little tv is probably ok. I would try to keep it to a minimum, like maybe 1 hour a day, but not all at one time. Also, I wouldn't really try to make him sit and watch it if he would rather play. I'm just not a big fan of tv for kids.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:17 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• 0 We have a tv but it never really comes on here. And if it does its only at nights when the kids are in bed. But its normally hubby who is watching it and im usally reading.
    aussiesmummie

Answer by aussiesmummie at 12:25 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Mine watches about 1-2 hours a day, but since shes been talking more iVe been playing teacher and reading to her more.
    NiekaC

Answer by NiekaC at 12:26 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Mine doesn't watch a full hour. I don't feel it's good for him.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 1:01 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• all day mine do
    Anonymous

• mine watches no tv at all. there's more productive things to do
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 1:19 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Well, what's your def. of productive? You don't think educational TV is productive? He's learned tons of new words and animals of of 1 hour of TV a day.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 1:25 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• The tv is pretty much always on around here for background noise. But I would say my kids actually watch it for only a few hours. Most of the time they are running in and out, playing house, playing Candy Land, Battleship, or Memory (we have lots of games but for some reason these are the only ones that get played... LOL), or building "forts" out of pillows and blankets. During the summer I barely even see my older kids except when they come in for lunch or snacks.... they play with the neighborhood kids all day long! Now that it is really cold outside they have to stay in more so they do watch more tv than normal. But when it gets dark at 5:30 and the high during the day is only 30 degrees..... more tv watching is pretty much expected. At least in my book.
    bkbecca

Answer by bkbecca at 2:00 PM on Nov. 26, 2008