How long is normal to grieve a pet?

I'm 30 weeks pregnant. My chihuahua unexpectedly died this past Saturday. I'm so sad that I can't stand it. I feel so guilty. I cry nightly and feel so foolish and silly for feeling so sad. I know it's not good for my unborn baby and I'm scared I'm falling into a depression. Any help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:33 AM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Pets

• You have suffered a loss.  I think to start with, to call it silly or foolish is going to hinder you from being able to grieve properly.  Also, factor in your hormones.  A lot of people love their animals like family and when they die, you lost a member of your family.  Cry it out.  Don't be embarrassed.  I think allowing yourself to feel what you need to feel is a great way to be able to move on.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 4:35 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I think normal is a relative term, I lost my best friend-our Malamute last Spring and I still feel very strong emotions. Grieving is a process, don't worry about time tables. I am so sorry for your loss.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 5:05 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Thankfully there is no set amount of time for grieving. We love our animals, we raise them, we feed them, we take care of them, we cuddle with them, we play with them, and they are a daily part of our lives for many years they are family. It is NOT foolish or silly to cry over the death of your pet, it's only been a couple of days.. It really will start to feel 'better' soon so allow yourself some time. But I think you are very wise in knowing that longterm sadness could affect your infant so maybe trying to stay focused on that excitement might help offset some of your sadness/depression. I'm really sorry for your loss (we've been thru it twice so I completely understand what you are going through).
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:19 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• My chihuahua died on saturday of old age:( I try not to think of it. If I start thinking of him and his dieing in my arms I start crying. Grieving for a pet is like grieving for a child to me it takes time to get through .im sorry

Answer by louise2 at 5:21 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Give yourself whatever time you need. it is not silly. It takes longer than people think to grieve. I am so sorry for your loss. hug
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:35 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I am so sorry! This is my first time in the answers section and I read the wrong name!!! I intended that message for truthteller. Again I'm very Sorry mrshouston!
    bentleysmommy11

Answer by bentleysmommy11 at 5:45 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• give yourself whatever amount of time you need to grieve and I agree with MrsHouston47302
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:11 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I think that maybe you should try to calm yourself a little before you cry...only because it could cause you to go into preterm labor and it may be bad for your baby. Take all the time you need to be sad, but if you feel your getting depressed ...then maybe you should talk to someone. *hugs*
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 7:24 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Definitely not silly! You are suffering a loss, and it takes time for someone to recover from a loss!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:12 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• It is hard losing a pet. I lost a kitten and a new born pup and I cried and felt sad for awhile. I always remember them! If u need to talk u can message me,.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:45 AM on Mar. 24, 2011