DS will be three in March and he barely wants to eat or when he does he is very picky. DH and I eat rather healthy around him and we always eat on schedule. Is this just something hes going to do cause his age or what? Do I need to look into getting him some vitamins?

aussiesmummie

Asked by aussiesmummie at 9:49 AM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you feel he isn't getting enough, then get him some vits. :) Make sure they are all natural/organic/aspartame free. If it has all that junk in them, what's the point in even getting them? Flintstone would be terrible ones to get. Some of those even have aspartame.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 9:51 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• My daughter's pediatrician used to tell me, "She'll eat when she feels like growing and she won't when she's not feeling up to it." I worried a lot about my daughter's appetite when she was this age. They just go through phases. This won't be the last of them. I promise. When my son was three he went through a phase where he would only eat foods that were white. Let me tell ya' that was a challenge. Try making a trip to the grocery store and make a well-balanced meal out of only white foods. It's funny to look back on now but I was really worried about him for a while. It's okay, he'll grow out of it and into something else. LOL. I would say definitely get him some vitamins. I also say get him whatever he will take. If it takes sweetner to get him to take something that's good for him in the end then that may be what you have to do to keep him healthy.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 10:00 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I wouldnt worry. if hes hungry he will eat, some kids have a slower metabolism and dont need as much. Kids let you know when they need something, especially when they are little. I found a wonderful vitamin if you are worried and they dont have fake sugars in them. They are called "L'il Critters and the kids really like them. The calcium gummy bears are pretty good. I did find a generic brand called Origin and they are exactly the same. They come from Target. The other name brand, I think you can get at almost any store that carries vitamins.
    bubblebean

Answer by bubblebean at 10:14 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• My son who will be 3 in March as well, went through a phase like that. He wouldn't even eat his favorite foods. We made sure he didn't get any snacks in between meals and would only have milk after his meal, water during. If he didn't like what we were having for dinner. He would skip it and would be really hungry in the morning and eat two adult size servings of oatmeal. I wouldn't do the sweetner on foods, what's the point of it. It will be something that he comes to expect every time. Kids know when they are hungry and will eat then. They have growth spurts, and that's when they eat more. Their body tells them when to eat.
    Alma_C

Answer by Alma_C at 10:32 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I've heard most kids go through this at around this age. My pediatrician has said not to worry about it and that toddlers will eat when they are hungry.

You might try being flexible with when he eats. I've read a suggestion to put together a snack tray in an ice cube tray or muffin pan of healthy finger foods that cover the food groups and allow your child to eat from that when they feel like it. The idea is that kids are wired to eat small amounts frequently rather than three larger meals. By allowing them to "graze" from the tray, you're getting them to eat healthy and according to their own body's needs without a big struggle over mealtimes.

I've tried this with my son when he goes through a picky phase and it works really well. I still have him sit at the table for a few minutes with a small amount of whatever we're having at mealtimes, but I try not to make a big deal over what he eats.
    ashuiren

Answer by ashuiren at 2:06 AM on Nov. 27, 2008