2 yo son wont sleep and screams!

My 2yo son will wake up ALL night long and stay awake from 2am to 5am and just scream!!! I have tried EVERYTHING, putting him to bed earlier because he doesn't take naps, putting him to bed later thinking he would sleep better if he was more tired, giving him a drink, giving him a snack, EVERYTHING. I dont know what to do it has gotten to the point were no one in the house can sleep we also have a 11m old and we will have another baby next month.
I WILL NOT put him in the bed with me. For one he kicks and ends up kicking me in the stomach and 2 he doesnt sleep any better he just plays then goes back and forth from our room to his.
Any suggestions? Real suggestions, not ones saying "you should out him in the bed with you he just wants his mommy" please I really dont know what to do with him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You didn't mention your bedtime routine. I learned with both of my kids that they need to go to sleep in the same conditions they will find if they awaken during the night. So, if a child goes to sleep (for example, not saying you do this!) watching TV while curled up in a chair, and then she is moved to her bed, she will have a hard time if she happens to awaken during the night, because she feels that the only way to go to sleep is the way she does at bedtime. My kids get a story and a kiss, then go to sleep with stuffed animals in a darkened room. This way, when they wake during the night, they hug a stuffed friend in the dark, and go back to sleep.
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 10:15 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Darn 1000 character limit! Here is the rest:

It is so hard when you aren't the only person he is disrupting! But if there are no other issues (like night terrors, or reflux), the best thing to do is be loving but firm. "Night time is for sleeping. Mommy and Daddy and Susie are sleeping, and you need to sleep too. In the morning, we can (fill in here whatever it is he wants to do now)." A consistent approach will modify his behavior more effectively than snacks and a changed bedtime. Just for reference, I think the average kid that age needs about 12 hours of sleep.

Good luck!

yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 10:16 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• WE give him and his sister a bath then i read them a story and he lays down in his bed with a movie on his tv and that is were he goes to sleep every night and that is were he wakes up every time he wakes up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Have you tried taking him to the dr. He might have a slight breathing prob. When my dd was born, she would wake up, eat and then scream for 2 or more hours every time. We took her the the dr and found out that she had RSV. If I wouldnt have taken her to the ER after the regular dr. visit, she would not be here today.
    bubblebean

Answer by bubblebean at 10:33 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• My friends who have used the TV at bedtime both decided it was not helpful. Right before having a baby is a really hard time to change routines, but he might sleep better if he could learn to drift off to sleep with a nightlight, rather than a TV on. I read somewhere that the lights and sound from a TV are too stimulating and don't allow a child's brain to slow down and "turn off" properly for sleeping. Heck, I have the same problem when I stay up watching it!
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 10:34 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• But if I dont hve it on he just screams anyway. How do I get him to go to sleep with the night light have one in there
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I think the other ladies had some good advice. Be consistent, give him a bedtime routine. Do not let him play and have snacks when he wakes up. The idea is to make him think its not worth it to wake up. If he thinks he gets to play or eat why sleep? Be firm. I would just go in his room and maybe sit with him for a few minutes long enough to try and calm him down. Tell him hes a big boy and he can do it. Then leave the room. This is what I do with my daughter and she sleeps great! Let him have a security object if needed. How do you put him to sleep at bedtime?
    newmommy1201

Answer by newmommy1201 at 11:55 AM on Nov. 26, 2008