My almost four year old son has begun a phase of regressing back to the age more like a 1 or 2 year old. Has anybody else had this problem orany advice.

He cries about everything. He chews on things which I think is ridiculous takes toys from his 2 year old sister and deliberately taunts her. Is it just jealousy? He didn't start this untill a couple months ago. I do time out, I've tried taking away t.v. privelages,toys. I just dunno. It's very frustrating. Oh yeah and he's started peeing his pants even tho he's been potty- trained for almost two years...any advice?

sarahnewthat

Asked by sarahnewthat at 9:59 AM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I asked my mom about this exact thing because you're not alone. There are lots and lots of moms that come on here with this problem. She said it's completely normal for a preschool age kid to revert back to infant and toddler behavior, ESPECIALLY when there's a younger sibling around. You're right, it's jealousy. My mom said the best way to deal with it is to absolutely not tolerate that behavior. Tell your son that he's a big boy now and that you aren't going to give into what he's doing. If you ignore what he's doing, he'll eventually get bored and realize that if he can't call attention to himself, then there's no point in doing the behavior. Good luck, just remember that if nothing else works, he'll eventually grow out of it =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:13 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• It sounds to me that he needs more attention. He is giving you all the signs that he needs you. Try taking him out by himself, if you can. He needs some mommy alone time. Try that and see if it works. Try to set a half hour a day that you focus only on him, if you have a kids table, try making a special snack or lunch where it is just the two of you and make him feel special.
    bubblebean

Answer by bubblebean at 10:19 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I would recommend two things. 1) WHEN he is behaving like this, right in that moment DO NOT tolerate it. Tell him he is a big boy, that he is too big to act like that, etc. 2) In the meantime, I think he's probably doing this because he isn't getting enough attention before he feels like he has to resort to that kind of behavior. You should do mommy dates with just him, spend time with just him once a day. Take him to mcdonalds every now and then and let him play in the playplace, go read to him in the park or even just chase the ducks, whatever it is as long as it's fun for him and it's just the two of you so that he knows he is special to you and feels that he is loved, and to reaffirm that he was NOT replaced by his little sister and that you don't love her more, b/c that's a huge fear for little kids! Good luck!
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 12:44 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• i just went to an AWESOME conference on brain development in boys. do you want me to email you the notes?

anyway, boys can honest to god be 18 months behind girls. a 4 year old who mouthes everything? probably his oral development is at a 2 and half year level.

when he pees his pants, make him clean it up and treat it very matter of factly.

when he does not play nice, he does not get to play. send him to his room. being a turd alone is no fun at all.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 9:50 PM on Nov. 28, 2008