Homeade detergent

I got all the stuff yesterday except I got baking soda instead of washing soda. Does this make a difference? I tried finding it but couldn't, I thought I might have written it down wrong.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:21 AM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Hmm... I've never tried to make detergent at home...
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 7:25 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Yes, it does make a difference if you don't use the washing soda. I have used baking soda and washing soda, but you definately need the washing soda. I have been making and using homemade detergent since October, and haven't been disappointed. It is worth the little bit of time to save the money. Good luck :)
    coffeeelvr

Answer by coffeeelvr at 7:54 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• What recipe do you use coffeeelvr and op?

Washing soda comes in a large yellow box (about the size of a cereal box). I found mine in the laundry aisle away from the detergents and closet to stain removers and the dryer sheets on a lower shelf.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 8:18 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Hillbilly Housewife has a website with several versions of the recipe. It is a pretty good website for being frugal. www.hillbillyhousewife.com -if you read the comments there is good answers to how the detergent should look. It is more of a gel than a liquid. You will need a large container with a lid to keep the detergent in as it makes almost 5 gallons. I finally bought a 5 gallon bucket from menards with lid, for under 5 dollars. But my friend used a empty cat litter bucket that worked great. Hope this helps. I had a lot of questions when I started on this homemade detergent journey. My family had to get use to using it, but now it is a hit.
    coffeeelvr

Answer by coffeeelvr at 8:43 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Thanks ladies!!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:07 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• not sure
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 10:56 PM on Mar. 24, 2011