On The Today Show, A little girl has a peanut allergy and the children have to rince out their mouth and wash their hands repeatedly. What do you think?

Is this a violation of the kids rights? What about her rights to a free education?
For those who missed it, check out the article http://today.newsvine.com/_news/2011/03/22/6321244-school-parents-want-girl-with-peanut-allergy-sent-home

EcofriendMom

Asked by EcofriendMom at 8:26 AM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Why can't the school just come up with a program where the children wash hands and brush teeth after lunch as a lesson and practice of good hygine. Washing hands is a good practice anyway and cuts down on the passing of germs. Having the kids brush their teeth also keeps them healthy and helps the students who don't do it at home.

You wouldn't have to say it's because of allergies. Just something we do to keep everyone healthy.
    Anonymous5

Answer by Anonymous5 at 8:44 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I guess if the parents don't like their children having to wash their hands & rinse their mouths after eating, then they as taxpayers can foot the bill to provide this little girl with an education in her home. So, the cost of hiring a full-time teacher, plus benefits, to go to her home everyday to teach her there.

If humanity doesn't move them, maybe money will.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 8:33 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I live in the town where that is going on, but my children do not go to that school. That article is completely inaccurate and taken way out of context. While a few parents may have voiced their opinion that the girl should be homeschooled, because her allergy is so severe, it's not the consesus of the majority of the parents there. The ruckus is over the fact that 3 times a day for 10 minutes everyone has to stop what they are doing to disinfect the school and are losing out on 30 minutes of precious instructional time to clean classrooms that this child never steps foot near. She doesn't leave the classroom, not even for lunch, yet the whole school is missing out on learning time.

Yesterday the school board went in and looked over what the school was doing and determined that they no longer needed to do these things except for the two classrooms the girl occupies.

The media is making it out to be more than it is.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:53 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I don't get it. How would rinsing their mouth out and washing their hands infringe on my children s rights? Seriously!! I think these kids need to learn to put someone else's health and well being before their own convenience, because obviously their parents aren't going to teach them.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:29 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Um..my son has horrible food allergies so are we to say he doesn't have any rights? Is it so bad to make them wash their hands and mouth? It is a scary thing. I don't want my son to die but also don't want other children to suffer but they are not suffering to wash themselves well to prevent anything from happening. Taking precautions is the key.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 8:29 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• My thought on it was that they should be washing their hands regardless of allergies because of all the sickness children are exposed to. I also feel that by them rincing their mouths out that it is helping them with oral hygine! Many children do not even brush there teeth because they are not made to do so. She has rights, absolutely! I was shocked by all the protesting.
    EcofriendMom

Comment by EcofriendMom (original poster) at 8:34 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I agree! I know that in Headstart they have the children brush their teeth! So your right on about the lesson's. :)
    EcofriendMom

Comment by EcofriendMom (original poster) at 8:48 AM on Mar. 24, 2011