Peanut Allergy Thought (not a question)

Okay, I finally got to watch for myself the stuff that is going on in Florida....

I'm still not sure what the big deal is.... they wash their hands, and wipe around their mouth after eating (they used to rinse)...well I like the idea of my child washing their hands on a regular basis, and rinsing their mouth after lunch...cuts back on the sickness that these young kids are always bringing home, and helps with dental hygiene. When I was in school, we washed our hands before and after lunch, and even brushed our teeth after lunch and parents weren't having coronaries about it.... but because one little girl has an allergy that can KILL her...that's what they are ticked about...puhleeze, making your child wash their hands and wipe there mouth is not taking away their rights....as for the rules put on snacks and lunches..no peanut butter in the classrooms....my kids can eat peanut butter when they get home, they don't have to have it at school...seriously the selfishness of some parents really piss me off.... There are more things to worry about with our children than them washing their hands and mouths.

I know some of you may not agree and that is fine but as a parent of children with NO allergies, I still can't see what the big deal is.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Health

• They keep peanuts out of school but CANT keep drugs and guns out. Go figure!!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:46 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• My friend's daughter died and her grandson that she takes care of has a HORRIBLE, life or death, allergy to peanuts. The teacher was aware of his allergy but went ahead and had an activity involving PB in the classroom and he had a separate activity across the classroom. This is preschool mind you, and kids are going to "touch" stuff in the classroom with the remnants/oils of PB on their hands. He ended up having an allergic reaction and THEY SENT HIM HOME ON THE BUS SWOLLEN AND LETHARGIC......He could have been dead. I don't think people understand the extent of harm these allergies can cause. It truly is life or death for some. I think rather than banning it all together, we should be promoting hand hygiene and if there happens to be someone that cannot have PB or whatever the case, we should be caring enough as a society to protect that child.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Parents like that should hope they never have a child with a severe peanut allergy.  And don't think it can't happen!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:08 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I live in the town where that is happening, but my children don't go to that school. The parents are NOT upset about the handwashing and mouth rinsing. The are upset because the whole school has to stop what they are doing for 10 minutes every day and clorox down the desks....every class and the child never steps foot in any rooms except for two rooms. Another complaint was that some of the children's FACES were being wiped down with clorox wipes. The complaint from the parents is that their children are missing out on 30 minutes of valuable instruction time for excessive cleaning that isn't necessary. The child with the allergy never leaves the classroom and the connecting classroom. She doesn't go to the lunchroom or any other classes.....so why are all the other kids in school missing out on instructional time?

The parents have NO issue with handwashing and mouth rinsing or their kids not eating peanut butter.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:41 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I just realized I left out that it was 10 minutes a day three times per day.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:42 AM on Mar. 24, 2011