Public Restrooms

At what age do you let your little boy go into the men's restroom alone?

yesmaam

Asked by yesmaam at 8:30 AM on Mar. 24, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If I'm at the mall and I have to go to the bathroom, I'm not leaving my 6 year old son standing outside the women's bathroom all alone just because it might make someone else uncomfortable. He is coming in with me! I don't know what age I would let him go into a public restroom alone, but there are also exceptions. The mall...no way. The bathrooms out at the ball field, I'll let him go with me standing outside the door....because the door is open and I can hear him. If we were at a theme park, he'd come with me.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:56 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• My son is six and will still go into the ladies room with me right outside the stall. I'm not sure, honestly I think it depends on the maturity of the child and not the age.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 8:34 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• We only have girls, but when my 5 1/2 year old is out with daddy, she goes by herself with him outside the door. All it took was one "wiener" comment and he was through taking her into the mens room. LOL!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:48 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• It all depends on the situation and the child I think. my son was five-ish, and it really depended on where we were. If we were somewhere I felt even a little uncomfortable I would take him with me or use a family restroom.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 1:48 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• It REALLY depends on the restroom. I'm comfortable with my 6 year old going into a majority of public restrooms, but there have been a few places where I have asked him to come with me. My 10 year old is all on his own.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:38 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Son is 9...depends on where...but I usually send my husband with him or I stand right outside the door!
    LabTech211

Answer by LabTech211 at 8:42 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I started letting my son go around 7, but I would stand right outside the door and if he was taking longer than I thought he should, I had no problem opening the door and calling to check on him.

Answer by missanc at 8:47 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Thanks ladies :) I asked b/c a lady said it would make her uncomfortable to see a 6 yr old in the women's restroom, but she made me uncomfortable saying that lol
    yesmaam

Comment by yesmaam (original poster) at 8:50 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• 6! My son is not allowed in the womens since age 6, he waited by the door and talked to me!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:05 AM on Mar. 24, 2011