Do schools have the right?

to tell kids what they can or cannot bring as a snack? What if you only have certain things in the house?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 8:48 AM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• My 2nd grader is to bring a snack everyday to school. They did ask that it be a healthy one, but did not mention anything about peanut allergies. I usually pack him chex mix, granola bar, 100 calorie snack packs, pretzels. It hasn't come down to me not having anything to pack but I have forgotten at times and the teacher always has something to give those students who forgot a snack. We are also asked to buy a boxed snack for the class for the teacher to have on hand.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:01 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I think it depends. With all the peanut allergy stuff, I guess a lot of people think that the schools do have the right to say what they can or cannot bring.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:49 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Our school requests only "healthy" snacks, but I've seen what some kids pack and would say that there's a very wide variation of what parents think is healthy! I think they should encourage healthy snacks, but I don't see how they could tell a parent what they can/can't send for their child to eat.

Answer by missanc at 8:50 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I think that your the parent and you buy food for your kid and your child should be alowed to eat it no matter the place i get the healthy thing but if your kid isnt fat and if your kid is active then lit your child eat whatever snack you give them idk schools should butt out
    AliciaLamoreux

Answer by AliciaLamoreux at 9:01 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• The teacher determines that at the boys school. So I keep only acceptable snacks for school in a special container in the cupboard so I know I will always have them available.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:01 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I guess if parents can't do it themselves then the school has to take over and ask them to be responsible.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:04 AM on Mar. 24, 2011