What do I do about this?

My sister is coming over today with her bf for dinner and well they smell. I don't want her not to come over but they smell like cigarettes and cats. Plus DS is allergic to cats. When she was over the last time her smell stayed here and DS eyes puffed up and he had trouble breathing. I was going have an outside dinner but now it's to cold. What do I do? I can't cancel cuse she is super excited.

Liamsmom09

Asked by Liamsmom09 at 8:52 AM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Relationships

• She's your sister, right? I would be gentle and honest with her. Let her know that your son's allergy will be inflamed if they have a lot of cigarette and cat scent on them, and that you would really appreciate it if they showered and put on freshly laundered clothes prior to coming over. Tell her that you hate to ask, but that you are sure she'd understand because she doesn't want her nephew to be uncomfortable. I think it's the best you can do at this point. If they come over still smelling really bad, have dinner on the back patio and don't invite them over any more.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 9:04 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• "Sis, Johnny's cat allergy had a bad reaction the last time you guys were here. Could you do me a huge favor and you guys take a shower before you come over? That way, the cat stuff is off you and Johnny can be happy to see his favorite aunt without thinking of puffy eyes and bad breathing. Thank you so much!"

If that doesn't work, then I think a blunt, "Look, sis, you stink." talk might be in order. Some people really do need you to be that blunt and even hurtful before they get the hint.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:16 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• A fan blowing their odor away from your son? Air freshners? Candles? Fish for dinner? Anything to mask some of their odor might help.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:59 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Tell them the truth, that their odor is offensive and the cat hair bother's your son.. If they won't do anything about it then cancel.. Don't put your sister's excitement before your child's health..
    Obi.Ren.Kenobi

Answer by Obi.Ren.Kenobi at 9:04 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Your situation is difficult.. Hmm.. I don't know exactly what you should do here...
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 8:54 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Could you have them meet you at a resturant
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 8:55 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• That's a tough one. I would change plans and meet at a restaurant. Good luck
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 8:57 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• The smell is really REALLY bad. I can't take them to a resturant. It wouldn't be fair to anyone there paying to enjoy a meal.
    Liamsmom09

Comment by Liamsmom09 (original poster) at 8:59 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Ask them to shower beforehand. Use the fact that your child is allergic to cats

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:03 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I think the fans and asking them to shower is a really good idea. I'm not putting her before my son. She has been asking to come over for a while now and if I do it now I won't have to do it again for a while. She's a a nice person just has poor hygene.
    Liamsmom09

Comment by Liamsmom09 (original poster) at 9:07 AM on Mar. 24, 2011