My cat

I have a male 2.5-3 year old cat, who has been peeing on select things for the past few weeks. Its only really soft things, like his blankie that was on the floor on my side of the bed for him to sleep on. He paws at it like he would his litter and then I assum pees on it. He has always doen it to ou mcrfiber pad we out down in the bathroom after a shower, but my DH never eems to hang it back up so the cat cant get to it. But last night as was making our bed he jumped up there, so I tossed him off like I always do, and he jumped back up and peed on it. We also had a prtty bad storm yesterday, but it was earlier. He hasnt done this really before to where I have noticed. But last night him peeing like that ight on our bed got me worried. I want to think that he doesnt have a UTI and he is just being a butt head but I just dont know. (DH will get super pissed off if i hve to spend money on the health of my cat which I LOVE so much) I think he *might* be mad at me because he has always, always drank out of the toilet and I have no idea why. And recently, like for the last month I have started to use in-toilet cleaners because I got tired of cleaning it every single day and closing the lid and making sure he has watr in his dish. I think he drinks it, but is mad at me because he likes his toilet water, haha. I may try getting rid of the toilet cleaner and letting him have his water back and see if it was just resentment for that, and in a week if it continues take him to a vet. Any other advice or anthing would be helpful! Thanks!
Sorry about the typos, im kinda in a hurry this morning!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Pets

• cats paw at things to bunch them and make them more comfy.. once a cat pees on something the smell is there reminding them that they have peed there before and they will keep doing it.. if you can throw away a smaller item (like a bath rug) i say do it and get a new one. keep tossing him in the litter box and make sure it is clean, cats are picky about their own filth too
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:11 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Is he fixed? If not he is spraying his territory. If he is it could be that the toilet cleaner is making himsick. I would make sure the lid is always closed or get ride of the cleaner. You may need to take him to the vet. if he does have a UTI and it goes untreated it could cause a kidney infection.Potentially causeing kidney failer and death. I have workd as avet assistant so I have experiance with this. Good luck and I hope you work out the problem.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 9:13 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• You might try buying a different brand of cat liter. Its possible that the company made changes in the one that you use that your cat finds offensive.
    Course I also understand the mad cat. I had one that would either poo in the bathtub or in the middle of my bed if he thought he needed to get a point across about something.
    And the other thing would be some kind of illness-like a UTI. I can understand not spending tons of money on a pet-mostly cause we just dont have it- but a checkup and an antibiotic should not be terribly expensive.
    And as for DH he can just get over it. I love my cat very much and would do whatever possible to keep him and my DH knows that.
    Good Luck!
    berryhappy1971

Answer by berryhappy1971 at 9:43 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• zoejains momma is wrong,they don't keep peeing on it once they start My cat had peed on a chair and i scrubbed it with hot soap and water and she has never gone back there. I know cats will pee in places other then the litter box if they do have a UTI, Call the vet.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:22 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Thanks everyone!
    @Liamsmom - He couldnt even get to the toilet water, we always kept the lid closed. But I just cleaned out the gel stamp (scrubbing bubbles) and have been flushing it a lot to help rid of the cleaner inside and will probably do that all day before I leave the lid open for him to drink when he pleases.
    @berryhappy- he hasnever really been picky about his litter. We have changed it often on him in the past with no real effect. We have been using this one for many months though. I think he might just be mad about the toilet thing really. He has only started to be all weird about peeing since I got that toilet cleaner. But he peesin his box, I clean it so I know he does pee in there, its just sometimes outside of it which makes me think he was just mad at me and DH. Haha. But if he is still peeing elsewhere but his box in the next week or so Iw ill call a vet and make an appt. Thanks again everyone!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:26 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• is it declawed. in my experience declawed cats are more likely to go where they shouldn't. anyway I took my cat to a vet for the same reason and they told me to put out a lot of large litter boxes. they were talking storage box size. while doing so kind of sucked because.... ew, it worked, so we didn't have to get rid of the cat.
    spastic_poodle

Answer by spastic_poodle at 12:02 AM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Well yesteday after I cleaned the tolet cleaner out of the toilet and flushed it a lot all through out the day he has not peed outside his box since... Im still gigving it time thoug to see if that was really what he was all mad about or if he really does need to go see a vet! Thanks for all the responses everyone!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:53 AM on Mar. 25, 2011