How can I get my 1 yr old daughter to stop hitting me?

At night when she is tired, she likes to beat on me. She laughs at "no." :S

Ella_Bella20

Asked by Ella_Bella20 at 9:14 AM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I went through this with DS. Everytime she hits put her in time out and say we don't hit. Then when time time out is over tell her again. Please don't hit it hurts mommy. Tell her you love her and have her give you a hug to say sorry. It may take a few times but it worked for me. Don't hit her back though. That just says I can hit but you can't. Good Luck.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 9:17 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Be very firm. Tell her no we dont hit. Tell her how upset you are with her behavior. I always make my kids hug and say sorry. My dd3 did this for awhile. I agree with the op. Show her love but point out why its a negative to hit.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 9:21 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• She hits hard! she just laughs at me..even when I "cry" lol..
    Ella_Bella20

Comment by Ella_Bella20 (original poster) at 9:24 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• When my little guy did this, I walked away from him and just ignored him for a few minutes. I said, "I cannot be near you if you are hitting me" and walked away. If he came up to me right away, I would do it again (walk away, saying, "I cannot be near you"). Not only did it show him that hitting wasn't acceptable, I was modeling the behavior I wanted him to use with other children. It took about 4 or 5 times for it to sink in and over the course of about 3 months, the hitting stopped altogether.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 9:36 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Shes to young to understand the whole time out thing, she is only one. But I would let her know that hitting is bad. Dont let her laugh at the word "No" and it she continues to hit...smack her hand and tell her firmly NO. She will put two and two together and she will learn. It may hurt her feelings at first and will probably cry but if you want her to get out of the habbit of hitting you have to be firm about it. Good luck...this always worked with my kids
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 9:41 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I would would say NO HITTING! and put her on the floor (make sure the door is closed so she can't run off) and stare at her with "the mom" look until she looks sorry. Then I would pick her up and try again.
    alemlovo

Answer by alemlovo at 12:36 PM on Mar. 24, 2011