My 18 month old won't eat!

My 18 month old is normally an eating machine but yesterday she barely ate anything...ate less than half of her breakfast and just a few bites of a lunch and some crackers. Got her up this morning and she's only had about 3 bites of food and refuses to eat anything else.

She doesn't look or act sick...she's just not eating! She's also been sleeping a lot.

What could be going on?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• sounds to me like shes growing again.. its normal. she will perk up and eat you out of house and home soon so be ready!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:20 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• It's what my sister called "toddlerexic" - at about that age, the amount of food they eat does drop off. Don't worry - no child has starved to death in front of a dish of food.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 9:32 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Just because she doesnt' look sick doesn't mean she's not coming down with something. Her little body could be brewing something that just isn't showing up yet, other than in her eating & sleeping - sleeping is very necessary for fighting stuff off! As long as she's staying hydrated, that's what matters.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Thanks zoejains_momma and dr. donna!

Anonymous...I didn't say illness wasn't a possibility, just that she doesn't look sick.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:19 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I'd be concerned. Watch her for one more day to see if she snaps out of it, and then I would take her to the doctor asap. Just to calm my nerves. One thing I would do when my daughter was little and sleeping too much is I would take her outside in the fresh air.. to the park maybe.. and that would perk her up a little.
    alemlovo

Answer by alemlovo at 12:13 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• My doctor says kids will eat when they are hungry. Just keep offering. She could be teething. Sometimes my girl won't eat much until she poops.
    klk04

Answer by klk04 at 12:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2011