Question about spina bifida, diagnosed as an adult?

My cousin (36 yrs old) has complained of back problems for years. She has also had issues with addiction, I always thought her complaining had a lot to do with her addiction. Yesterday she got results from xrays and an MRI and her new doctor told her she has 3 bulging discs and spina bifida, and that he couldn't believe she was never told. Her spine and tailbone aren't fused together. (Her mother is MR and her dad is an addict). She is to start physical therapy soon, but what can I tell her? She doesn't have the internet and is a little slow. Not extremely slow, but she wouldn't understand the medical terms. I really want her to understand what she is up against, I don't think she understands anything about it. If anyone can provid any insight, I'd appreciate it greatly. I can't find anything about it being diagnosed as an adult.

drowninginboys

Asked by drowninginboys at 9:29 AM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Health

• are you sure she understoood correctly? I have never hear o anyone being diag as an adult and dated a guy who had it for 5 yrs
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 10:05 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• she understood it correctly.... her spine is not fused to her tailbone and her spinal cord is exposed. Its obviously not severe but i want to help her. Also, her bf, who is of normal intelligence (maybe above normal) also spoke to the doctor. They just don't have the resources that I do.
    drowninginboys

Comment by drowninginboys (original poster) at 10:12 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I was diagnosed with Spina Bifida Oculta (sp?) when I was 18 (got a CT scan after getting hit by a drunk driver)...So it doesn't always get diagnosed in childhood. I would look up some information on WebMD for her and print it out. They usually put it in easy to understand terms. To be honest, I never did research on it--I also have 5 herniated discs for the accident, so even if I knew how to help the Spina Bifida, it wouldn't really help the pain overall, so I saw no point in researching it.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 10:20 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• She has also been in a few car accidents, worked hard her whole life, had 4 children. Since she's not very "book smart", she always did physical labor. And she's strong, but in pain. My heart hurts for her. Just trying to guide her in the right direction. She's in so much pain and she always comes to me for guidance. I want to help her get the help she needs.
    drowninginboys

Comment by drowninginboys (original poster) at 10:39 AM on Mar. 24, 2011