Gay children...

Okay, so I now know the majority of your thoughts on gay marriage, but here's a new one. What if your child came out to you as being gay/lesbian? OR they believe that they're supposed to be the opposite sex (transgender)??

Thoughts?

GothicChk52

Asked by GothicChk52 at 9:33 AM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Regardless of who my child is I love them and accept them for who they are.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 9:35 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• – collapse
    confusion.. i hate to say it but i would be asking myself where i went wrong.. YES i know its their personal choice but I would feel guilty that i had done something to cause this.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:35 AM on Mar. 24, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• I would be as loving and as supportive as I could. There are going to be enough people out there who will judge him/her.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 9:35 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I would be as supportive as possible and get them in therapy. I would not put them in therapy because I thought they were confused. I would put them in therapy to help them deal with everything they will be going through personally and publicly.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 9:38 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• zoejains, if it happens, just remember that it's nothing that you did, it is who they are. Don't blame yourself, because it's out of your control, it's in His control.
    GothicChk52

Comment by GothicChk52 (original poster) at 9:38 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• They're still the child I gestated, birthed, and raised. They are who they are. Sexual orientation does not make them any different.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 9:39 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• My hope would be that I would be "in tune" with them enough that it wouldn't come as a shock. I would spend a lot of time talking to him (since I only have boys) about how we were going to help him live in a society that could be cruel and disapproving of him and remind him that I would always love him.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 9:39 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• tiddiwinks, that's a VERY good idea. Being GLBT is VERY hard, but having to deal with the public's thoughts on it is even harder. A therapist is exactly the best medicine.
    GothicChk52

Comment by GothicChk52 (original poster) at 9:39 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I will always try to support my kids to the best of my ability, regardless of their preferences (excluding anything criminal of course). 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:42 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Maybe I missed the memo but I don't know what the "majority" on here think. I know I support gay marriage. They should have just as much a right to those protections as anyone else. And no one can say marriage is sacred in this country anymore.
    I have many gay, lesbian and transgendered friends. So I suppose if my child was gay I would make sure to ntroduce them to one of my friends who I think is a good role modle and who can give them someone to talk to who understands.
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 9:50 AM on Mar. 24, 2011