Head lice?....Help?

My son came home with head lice about 2 weeks ago. Since then, i have treated it with RID shampoo and did everything they said to do in the instructions. The only thing i did not do is use the "Gel" they gave with the package. I just picked them out myself. But, for some reason we still have them. I have treated this problem with RID, twice. And still we have this horrible, nasty problem. I am dying here!!....lol

Does anyone know what works, other than RID?....This stuff is a joke!...Right after shampooing, and removing the nits...We were still itching and it's getting worse!!

Help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Oh..
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 9:55 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• make sure u clean everythin, and i do mean everything in the home, vacuum furniture, stuffed animals, bed/sheets, trash brushes, buy new ones, clean hats, dont wear same clothes twice, lice CAN live off the scalp for a certain amount of time, if u can shave ur sons head, it will save u A LOT of time and money, make sure everyone in the home gets the eggs AND live lice out of there hair, if it's possible to cut ur hair, or for a male, shave the head, i had to cut my beautiful long hair, because it was SO Much to go through, saved us a LOT of time!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• You need to spray your carpets, place all bedding and fabric toys in the washer...hot water.. and in the dryer... highest heat setting for at least 20 minutes... whatever can't be dried/ or washed needs to be placed in a black garbage bag for two weeks. Lice treatment only works if you follow up and do it again in exactly 2 weeks. Why didn't you use the gel? The gel is what the medicine is in. After my step daughter kept coming to our house with lice for a full year, I started coating her head in vegetable oil, wrapping her head up in a plastic sac, and then blow drying it with the sac/ and oil on her head. I would keep it on for 2-3 days. It would drowned out all the mama bugs, and loosen the nits. It takes dawn dish soap to get the oil out of the hair.Thankfully, there living situation is better and she no longer has lice. The vegetable oil has kept me, my 3 year old daughter, and 18 month old daughter lice free
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 10:14 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• you need to clean everything , put stuffed animals etc in a trash bag for atleast 2 weeks, you can get a spray for couches,carpets,beds to kill anything that cannot be washed, I personally buy a new hair brush but as long as it is cleaned good its your choice, but you have to treat him and everything in your home including bed sheets, pillows blankets , etc.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 10:18 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• After my oldest dd began school, she was invested. It then spread to my youngest and my step kids. I used the cetaphil soap (yes the stuff for your face, you can find it at food lion, walmart, or any drug store) Put it on your ds hair while its dry, and let the soap dry (it takes an hour or so, I kept it in over night) then put him in the bath and wet his hair once, then start combing it out. The soap dries and cases the lice and eggs and smothers them to death. It really works wonders.
    beautiful_life

Answer by beautiful_life at 10:22 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I tried everything known to man, and the only thing that consistently works is the Rid or the other kind of lice shampoo used in combination with the combs. There is a spray you can get for furniture and stuffed animals, also by Rid. It works, but you have to do it AND you have to get out ALL the nits. It takes forever, I know, but the only way you can get rid of the lice is to treat the hair, comb with the lice come over and over and over until all nits and lice are gone. That doesn't mean you will immediately stop itching- some people have a reaction to the bites of the lice. Also, either bag up all stuffed animals and pillows for a week OR spray with the Rid spray to get rid of any lingering nits. The lice can't live off a human host for very long, but nits can survive because they are just eggs. Good luck!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:02 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• make sure EVERYTHING in the house is clean and sprayed down, i think they have a rid spray for furniture. its a big pain. i got it a few times as a kid.
    angelrach86

Answer by angelrach86 at 10:39 PM on Mar. 24, 2011