Any English majors? I have a question about plagerism

I would like to paraphrase from an FTC publication and other publications with a .gov website in a journal that I would like to publish. I have all intentions to give reference to the publications. But, I'm seeing that other publications don't have any direct or paraphrased references (that they seem to refrain from this & refer to the publication for additional info instead of paraphrasing).

Is there a reason for this, that paraphrasing (with appropriate references) is illegal(?) for the fact that the publication is from the government and is free? I would like to publish in my own name.

I'm trying to look this up on the Internet, but can't seem to ask the question just right.

Thanks in advance

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 9:50 AM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• bump

AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 9:51 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• As long as you say where you got the material, paraphrasing is legal.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 9:52 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• There are two different guidelines to writing. MLA and APA. which style are you writing? the guidelines are different depending. APA would be like this "blah blah blah blah " (author, page number). MLA requires more info. both need to be cited in a reference page pr bibliographypage at the end. I can only try to answer your question but with out knowing more information the answer is broad.  Bottom line is depending on wich format you are using to write depends how you will give credit where credit is due.

nerdy

MominCa

Answer by MominCa at 11:15 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• If you are using these publications to support your argument, then it is not plagiarism. If you are passing their work off as your own, it IS plagiarism.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:24 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I'm writing in MLA. :-)

I was wondering why I wasn't seeing more paraphrasing from government docs (especially citing sources from the FTC), if there was something to it the goverment stuff is more sensitive. Doesn't seem so (I hope not).

Thanks again
    BlueSaphire

Comment by BlueSaphire (original poster) at 11:52 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• You might want to purchase a writing style handbook for reference.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:03 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I think you need law major not an English major. Sorry can't help. Heres a Bump.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 8:36 PM on Apr. 2, 2011