How do I approach my boss when asking for adjustment in my hours?

I work full time and have been with my company for 3 years. I just had my 3rd child and I work an hour from home and in traffic that is about 1-1/2 hours or more. I want to ask my boss for a modification of my schedule, but I have to treat this very delicately. He is a man that does not respond well to hems and haws...get to the point kind of guy. He is fair, but I don't know if he'll agree to this. I am currently 8:30-5 (so I don't get home until 6:30 or later) and I want to go to an 8-4 schedule and just stay in for lunches. I thought long and hard about this as to not ask for too much. This is still a full time schedule, just leaves them without me for an hour earlier per day.

Any ideas on the best way to approach this?

Jeannie721

Asked by Jeannie721 at 10:10 AM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Money & Work

• Try not to have your heart set on a specific schedule, because there is a possiblity he may suggest an even better alternative. Just wait for the moment when he says "What did you have in mind?"

My company had a written four 10 hour day policy, but I requested a modification to that and negotiated a four 8 hour day schedule (lost 20% of my pay, though...)

There has been a lot of press in the news about keeping women happy at work because women are good workers. Most big companies are on the ball with it, so this adjustment may be easier to achieve than you originally thought...
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 11:04 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• If he is a get to the point kinda guy. Just get to the point. Tell him your issues and what you would like to do. Hopefully things work out for you!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 10:14 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• In most states employees are required to take at least a 30 minute lunch break. That could be an issue.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:14 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Openly and honestly.... GL
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 10:16 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• the way i did it recently was the "take a little, give a little approach"..lol. i didnt ask. i went up to him and TOLD him i am not going to be available for work on mondays after school lets out BUT i will be able to work for him longer shifts the rest of the week. he seemed a little upset at first but when i threw in the "but" he was like "cool, that'll work."
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:17 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• If you do this will everyone else want to do this as well? Not sure how many people are in the office but will it cause an uproar with other employees?

I think coming in at 8 is a good idea but I'm not sure staying in for lunch covers your time. I would just tell him you had been thinking of something and wanted to see what he thought about it. It kinda gives him an easy out if he doesnt like the idea.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:18 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• how long have you worked here?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:25 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Law states and employer has to give an employee at least 30 minute lunch. How about saying u will start at 7:30,that will include your lunch. When u approach him make it sound like it will benefit him to,like he will still get the same productivity out of u.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:27 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I have been with this company for 3 years. It is a HUGE company, but our Houston, TX office is only 5 people. The only other person that would care about me getting something that she didn't would be our receptionist and she already leaves at 4:30 and lives 5 minutes from the office. She wouldn't cause a stink about it. My boss is pretty much a genius and can be very creative. I have a feeling it won't be a complete no, but instead he will offer some sort of alternative. I just don't know what kind.
    Jeannie721

Comment by Jeannie721 (original poster) at 10:29 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• probably have you working on a weekend day
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:31 AM on Mar. 24, 2011