My 5 month old son coughs?

I have a 5 month old son, I have noticed the past couple of days he has been coughing. He usually coughs when he wakes up from sleeping at night, or when he wakes up from a nap. I told his doctor about it and she said it was normal? I do have 2 cats and a dog and they are all shedding right now, so I dont know if its because of the animal hair. ((I do clean it up alll the time!)) But its impossible to get all of it all of the time. I dont know if its from that maybe he is allergic to the animals? I dont know. He always seems totally fine, he doesnt have a fever, just coughs...He did recently get 2 teeth that are still comming in. I dont know, anyone have any answers? Is this something I should be concerned about? Thanks.

urbuttacup88

Asked by urbuttacup88 at 10:24 AM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This may be grasping but my son has acid reflux and because of it coughs constantly... Until we figured it out I thought the pets and things like that too. Does he have any other symptoms?
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 10:27 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• He does rub at his eyes and nose sometimes..Which makes me think its from the animal hair..But, I'm just not too sure.
    urbuttacup88

Comment by urbuttacup88 (original poster) at 10:31 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Alot of kids have acid reflux. I can tel u it is not your pets.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:37 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I think it would be pretty rare for the pets too...how does he sleep because my son does not sleep well because of the reflux so he's alwasy tired and rubbing his eyes and nose too. he actually digs his face into people the first chance he gets.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 10:40 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• try getting a cool air humidifier
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 10:57 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• That sounds about right, he does dig his face into people too... He wakes up about every 3 hours during the night to eat, but he falls right back to sleep after eating. What can I do for him if it is acid reflux? According to the answers I am getting, it sounds like thats exactly what it is. Thanks!
    urbuttacup88

Comment by urbuttacup88 (original poster) at 11:23 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Burp him often, put him to sleep in the swing or on a wedge, but I would take him to the doctor because there are things that they can do such as new formula, antacids, a referall to a GI. I have been through it all with my kids especially the second. I'm a firm believer that if a baby is not sleeping they are uncomfortable. Is he irritable? Is he gassy?
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 1:06 PM on Mar. 24, 2011