Being frugal

I have been thinking about starting to make my own cleaners, including laundry and dish detergent. It just seems to be alot of trouble to go along with it, especially when you are making all your cleaners. For those of you that do this, about how much do you end up saving monthly and is all the work worth the savings?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Great question. I don't make my own because it sounds like too much work but if the savings justify it then maybe I will. I'll be checking back for your answers. Thanks for the question.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:29 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:29 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I do, and it really isn't all that much work. My cleaning products cost me a grand total of $15 every three months with generally enough left over for the next 3 month period. So, figure a total for the year of about $45. The time involved is minimal. I dump vinegar, baking soda, and/or lemon juice into spray bottles and add water. My detergent takes about 20 minutes with an occasional stick blender stir until it cools ~ and a batch lasts me 3 months.

I do plan to start making goat milk soap soon, which will obviously take a bit more time. I also am interested in adding in toothpaste and a few other items (I use Dr. Bronners bar soap as a shampoo bar but want to make my own). I have no doubt the extra cost/work will still be far less than running to the store and spending money on chemicals that make me itch.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:16 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I buy two 1-gallon jugs of white vinegar for about $4 & those two will last me 6 months as a cleaning agent. I also typically add a cut up lemon or two to each jug, which is another $1 for the lemons, so all together it costs me about $10 for a year's worth of cleaning.

For laundry, I use a mix of washing soda, fels naptha & borax with water, which costs me about $15 to make enough laundry soap to last me all year. I keep it in 5-gallon buckets that my DH scrubs out & brings home from work. The actual preparation takes me an hour or so to do & then I'm done for the year.

So, $25 & and about an hour & a half out of one day to make enough laundry soap & cleaning spray to last me an entire year.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:22 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• i didn't know you could do that
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 10:55 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I believe you save a lot of money doing it on your own, but its VERY time consuming. Not everyone has that kind of time to do it...especially with children around.
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 7:56 AM on Mar. 29, 2011