Rotavirus?

I've been doing some research, not sure if this is what it could be or not. My 4 year old DD was sick on Monday, complaining of a stomach ache and vomiting. Tuesday and yesterday she seemed to be feeling better, didn't really have much of an appetite still but she said her stomach didn't hurt anymore and she was acting fine. Last night, she was up 3 times with horrible diarrhea and then she vomited again. This morning she had diarrhea so bad she didn't make it to the toilet :-( She says her belly feels fine this morning, but I dunno. She keeps saying she is so hungry, but I don't want her to overdo it. I've been doing the BRAT diet, but she isn't seeming to like it too much. I also have a 6 year old and a 14 month old, everyone else seems fine so far, IDK. Should I call the doc? Has anyone had experience with Rotavirus before?

sarahbell811

Asked by sarahbell811 at 10:27 AM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Kids' Health

• id call a doc or take her to the er. thats just scary to me
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:28 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Anything that goes longer than 24 hours I call a doctor for, I would if I were you, it can't hurt.
    kayalouise

Answer by kayalouise at 10:34 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Yep, I have experience with that! It sucks! Does her bm smell way worse than normal? That's one big thing with it. It can only be diagnosed through a stool sample. It can dehydrate very quickly. Call your doc, see what he/she says. Lots and lots of handwashing, cleaning, etc - any and everyone in the house can get it, but the younger or the older a person is the worse it is for them. My DD was 20 months when she had it (so still in diapers) and was in the hospital for 4 days (partially due to an unrelated issue, the rota was diagnosed after being admitted for the other problem). No juice or milk - let her drink as much water, pedialyte, gatorade as she wants. With rota, the vomiting usually stops before the diarrhea begins but not always, and the diarrhea can take up to a couple of weeks. There is no treatment for it, which stinks.
    Anonymous

• thanks for your answer, PP! yeah, it does smell worse than usual! I've been cleaning like crazy trying to keep everything disinfected! lol. I'm gonna call the doc tomorrow if she's still having diarrhea. she's been keeping food down today and she's been drinking fluids.
    sarahbell811

Comment by sarahbell811 (original poster) at 5:13 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• bump

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:10 AM on Mar. 26, 2011