How can I get my daughter to listen without screaming and yelling with a tantrum?

she is 5 going into school and my son is 2 and he picks up on everything !!! I've tried all the punishments that have been offered! any suggestions? please I need help or the 911 nanny.

shanese83

Asked by shanese83 at 10:44 AM on Mar. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• get down to her level and talk calmly. tell her if she is going to throw a fit you cant talk to her or that when she is ready to stop crying to talk to you.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:45 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• she is old enough to reason with at this age. i would give her one, simple warning that if she keeps screaming she can go to her room until she's ready to come out. make sure you're down to her level when you say it. and if she keeps up, send her to her room. this is what i have to do with my 4 year old from time to time. she rarely throws tantrums but when she does she's a force to be reckoned with. if she refuses to calm down then she can let out all her frustrations in her room with the door closed. she is usually calm and ready to talk within 5 minutes.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:48 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• If you talk very softly, she will have to be quiet to hear you. Whenever she starts screaming, stop talking and wait until she is done, then finish what you were saying. My 5 year old was doing this as well, and she still has her moments. Drives me crazy!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:54 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I'm confused. Are you doing the screaming or is she?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Speaking of 911 nanny, I talked to my son in an English accent and he loved it, and actually listened lol
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 11:09 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• lol on the accent thing and I've tried to reason I've gotten down to her level and I cant take the yelling and for example I'll mask her to please pick up her toys when done playing with them may it be 3 barbies or 2 books she will have a fit and say she can't pick it up but with her father their is no problems its like my child and i clash or bump heads abd thats how me and my mother are is their anything I can do further then the advice already givin anything helps
    shanese83

Comment by shanese83 (original poster) at 11:23 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• i have the same problem with my 7 year old daughter and i've tried everything so now i try to ignore her untill she stops or i tell her to go in another room untill she can come back and behave. some times it works sooner or later she stops if i'm not paying attention to her
    wells2811

Answer by wells2811 at 11:47 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• My 4 yo started doing that alot. She still tries. Now a days, I tell her if the tantrum doesn't stop, she loses either computer games, or Mario Kart time for 5 days. For now it is working, for when she lost games for 5 days, she was not liking it.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:59 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Ive taken away her outside time and the t.v for 2 days b/c she embarresed me by telling people she don't care what I have to say and what I am thinking well it got back to me and she got spanked for talking to older people that way and for disrespecting me! everything bad that happens is my fiancee's fault according to her!!! how to deal and cope?
    shanese83

Comment by shanese83 (original poster) at 12:05 PM on Mar. 24, 2011