What is Beltane?

I saw it mentioned in another question and while it is not part of my own beliefs (I am Christian) I am curious what it is. I mean no disrespect. It is just something that I have only heard in passing on here and in a book I was reading and I have no real understanding what it is all about.

asmcbride

Asked by asmcbride at 10:46 AM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Its a religious holiday for Pagans. It is the celebration of fertility and has a correlation with the full moon (waxing moon being the maiden, full moon being the mother, waning moon being the crone). Traditionally there are lots of sexual references and representations because this is the festival where the god and goddess come together and make the earth fertile again for the harvest to come.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 11:13 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Beltane is one of the 8 Sabbats celebrated by Neo-Pagans. It is celebrated on or around the 1st of May. It is the 3rd and final of the Spring/Planting celebrations. It is all about fertility and fecundity.

My Circle celebrates with our "Annual Burnt Offering to the Gods Ritual/BBQ". I build a campfire in my back yard, and everyone brings their own meat (or meat sub) and a salad or dessert to share (I do the potatoes), and the first bite of each item gets cast into the ritual/cooking fire. Also, we convert our flagpole into a Maypole!!!

And my 3y/o and I will be doing May Baskets for her friends at Daycare!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:03 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• May Day.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:49 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Beltane or Beltaine (in English pronounced /ˈbɛltən/) is the anglicised spelling of Old Irish Beltain (Irish Bealtaine Irish pronunciation: [ˈbʲal̪ˠt̪ˠənʲə], Scottish Gaelic Bealltainn [ˈbʲal̪ˠt̪ˠənʲ]), the Gaelic name for either the month of May or the festival that takes place on first day of May.
    Bealtaine was historically a Gaelic festival celebrated in Ireland, Scotland and the Isle of Man. Bealtaine and Samhain were the leading terminal dates of the civil year in medieval Ireland, though the latter festival was the more important. The festival regained popularity during the Celtic Revival and remains observed in the Celtic Nations and the Irish diaspora.
    In Irish Gaelic, the month of May is known as Mí Bhealtaine or Bealtaine, and the festival as Lá Bealtaine
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:49 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Ok, so it's May Day, but are there certain things that are part of celebrating it? It is a religious holiday to some, or a totally non-religious?
    asmcbride

Comment by asmcbride (original poster) at 10:58 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Depends on where you live. It's not really celebrated in the US but is in Canada and the UK.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:59 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Also know as May Day, it is still a public holiday in the UK.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:59 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Thank you meandrphoto and MamaK88 for your detailed answers. I think I have a basic understanding of what it is now =)
    asmcbride

Comment by asmcbride (original poster) at 3:07 PM on Mar. 24, 2011