Chicken pox: what other symptoms did your toddler have before spots appeared?

Chicken pox has been going round at preschool, but my twins haven't been for a fortnight as I've just had a baby, then one twin had sickness and diarrhoea, but also hives (i.e. temporary all-over rash), so doc thinks she had an allergic reaction to something.

Both have had streaming noses and reduced appetite (sicky twin barely eating at the mo) but then today the other twin has got four or five small spots on her face. DH says it's probably due to us using more wet wipes than usual to mop up her snotty face!!, but I just wondered if some / any / all the above symptoms could be put down to the onset of chicken pox?

Twinminator

Asked by Twinminator at 10:53 AM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When I had chicken pox I felt sick and vomited a little and had a slight fever. I think like 3-4 days to a week before the spots actually showed up. I was 5, but yes, I remember.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• the incubation time for pox is about a week so they may have been exposed to it before the child that had it got any symptoms. so its a possiblilty that they may get it. i know when i had it it started with fever and vomiting. then the small blisters appeared and the itching started.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:05 AM on Mar. 24, 2011