My 6 week old won't sleep

my 6 week old seems to be getting less sleep as time goes on. I can't get him to sleep at night untill 1 am and he's up 4 or 5 times from 1 to 7 I have 6 kids altogether so getting so little sleep is verry hard.I can't sleep when he does during the day because i have another little one here that is not in school yet. My baby is conjested the doctor said it's normal the only thing you can do is use saline drops and humidifyer but i'm not sure if that's why he's not sleeping and i don't know what i can do.

wells2811

Asked by wells2811 at 11:02 AM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sadly, this is very much par for the course. Co-sleeping might help. Or making dad handle wakeups (unless you're breastfeeding). And depending on their ages, your older kids may have to become more self-sufficient.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:13 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• He's 6 weeks old. They don't have normal sleep patterns yet. And the congestion will make it hard for him to sleep. No advice other than that, sorry.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:03 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Babies sometimes have their days and nights mixed.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:09 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• It's incredibly tough when babies won't sleep, I empathise. When my twins were tiny and they picked up even mild germs, I was up round the clock with one or other of them. I now have a 10 day old baby plus the two year old twins, and as soon as I got back from hospital, there has been one illness after another (sickness, diarrhoea, hives from an allergic reaction, and now chicken pox!!!!! I swear it's true, this is the first time I've been back on Cafemom since being pregnant, they're finally all napping at the same time) and I am utterly exhausted too.
    I think you know it's a "wait it out" kind of problem, but it helps to know you're not entirely alone. Hope the bub gets over this phase soon.... and remember, it may be tough but it's tempoary, better days are ahead!!! xxx
    Twinminator

Answer by Twinminator at 11:12 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I'm sure you've tried everything I could recommend you've been a momma for a while :) Does he cry or he just lay there awake? Do you have the same routine for him every night? My 2 1/2 month old DD likes to look at her baby glow worm, he plays music and his face lights up.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 11:14 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• my son wasn't sleeping that well when he's 6 wwks too, also he's congested. You can clear his nose using saline and then use the snug thing to suck everything out so he's clear and can sleep better. Also make sure the area is not dusty that can cause him congested too.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 12:18 PM on Mar. 24, 2011