How do you prepare to say goodbye ? :(Sensative related)

My four legged baby recently got sick & after several appointments,prescriptions our fears got confirmed why his health is not improving he has cancer that took form rapidly in his eye.
There is no treatment to cure this problem however,i want to believe maybe there is just our area does not have the resources.
However,if not how do you know & prepare to say goodbye to someone that is not just a pet but a part of your family through the years,that loves no matter what.
I do not want him to suffer but how can you figure out when is the right time to decide it's time?
What would bring peace if he had to pass in your home,or vet?
I'm 12 wks. pregnant,we lost our first little one awhile back but it still hurts.
Without notice our home has been sold.
My father has terminal cancer is to sick to celebrate holidays.
I'm needing advice, as i'm emotionally torn & drained.
Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Health

• Can you find a vet or clinic that can remove his eye??? He is better of blind and alive, than the alternative. Dogs can still live a good life even without their eyes.
    bubblebean

Answer by bubblebean at 10:28 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Shee said that is the only possible way to save him however,she feels it's to bad and the surgery is to risky for him to survive.
    However,i'm looking around.
    Into bigger city areas.
    I do not want him to suffer but need to know the decisin was not made without looking at all options as i know there has to be more than just putting him to sleep.
    His eye is bad but he is otherwise fine right now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I'm so sorry for your situation. It sounds like you have the weight of the world on your shoulders! The only question you've asked is about your furbaby. I've had many dogs over the years and with all of them, we just KNEW when it was time to help them out of their suffering. We were blessed to have compassionate vets who were "ready when we were" to have them put to sleep. And that's what it is like....we brought the whole family into the room and snuggled with our pets on their blankies (which we brought with us) and said good bye. Whoever was the closed to that specific pet held them while the dr. gave them a shot and they just drifted off to sleep in their arms. I'm crying now as I type this, remembering our babies...but I only hope that when it's my time, that I have as wonderful a death...with my family around me.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 10:34 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Wow! I'm so sorry all these terrible things are and have happened to you. I think you have to find your own way to say goodbye. Sometimes there is no way to be prepared. Sometimes you just may never be ready. I'm sorry I don't have better advise. Hugs.
    pinkink

Answer by pinkink at 10:36 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• My mom has a dachound that had an eye rupture and it was taken out about 8 years ago and she is doing great. I dont agree with putting an animal to sleep if it is something that can be taken care of, like an eye.
    bubblebean

Answer by bubblebean at 10:39 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• (FROM OP)
    We are waiting tell after the holidays to make such a hard decision.
    I guess i do not get why she determined this as she did nothing but look in his eye with a small light.
    He started medications not even 72 hours ago,yet they feel an improvement should of been seen already.
    she tells us there is no hope & pulls out the cremation brochures.
    He may have a swelled eye,but his weight,eating,energy is fine?
    I just feel torn that i can't rest until i know,i did all i could.
    I asked about removing the eye or radiation,chemo,or a biopsy and she said this would not work.
    I asked if he needs IV's for pain or extra fluids and it was ignored.
    I felt like he was revenue.
    She said maybe another area would have beeter help but offered no suggestions.
    She said two years ago,he should be put down and pulled through.
    It was the first time i ever seen my husband cry,in public.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Bubblebean,
    How old was the dog,my pet is a cat and the vet says he is too old to survive such a procedure?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I am crying for you. I am so sorry that you are having these very sad troubles. Is there any way you can take your little friend to another vet? Having to have a pet put down is one of the hardest decisions I've had to make so far. They do trust you to do what is best for them. Hugs and prayers.

Answer by Bmat at 11:37 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• i would def get another opinion... that seems like a really quick judgement to be like, yup, it is cancer, put him down, my dh is in love with our dog, i am sure he would go to at least 3 doc and if they agreed he would let her go but you need to get more opinions on her health! good luck!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:42 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Me & hubby talked and we are going to as quick as possible find another doctor for a second opinion.
    We are also looking at vets that specialize in pets eye health,which is in another state,but this is fine as well.
    Which may be best if the eye needs to be removed.
    Until than,we are keeping the eye clean and using the medicines to prevent possible worse side effects.
    I need to know that what the end result is was done with every effort and i feel we are doing what we can but the vet let us down on options regardless of the diagnosis,which i feel not comftrable with based off the way it was done.
    It's like looking at a pregnant woman and saying yep the baby is fine,without a proper exam or tests.
    I will keep all you wonderful ladies updated!
    Anonymous