What can I do to help a 19 month old baby girl who's mom left her?

My best friend and I have just started babysitting, we have ten kids in the house all day everyday, but my main concern is the 4 year old and 19 month old sisters whose mother left them. Their father has custody but he has to work and we keep them 10 hours a day and they are really having problems. I am pretty sure it is separation anxiety but just need suggestions on what to do to help them.

rachy1983

Asked by rachy1983 at 11:19 AM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• show them lots of love and lots of hugs.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 11:22 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Jesus, I'll never understand that! It'll take time I'm sure you already do, but love them like they're your own :) Gl, what a brave daddy!
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 11:25 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• You didnt really explain what the problems are. Is it behavior problems? Is it emotional distancing? Is the 4 yr old acting out in a negative way toward all the other children? While you cant change the situation and whats been done, you can make your enviornment as comfortable as possible for these children. It might take some time, but they will know that this is a safe place, you are a loving caregiver and this safe place stays the same, every day for them. good luck and so sorry to hear this happened to them
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:25 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I wpould be that absent part in their lives teach and treat them like they were your own and become that best friend they yearn for ! I cant believe the mother did that thank ngoodness for daddies b/c when my mom told my dad to take my when i was 5 and leave n.y I never saw my mother again after that and we barely speak now but my dad stepped up to the plate and took charge and i lived with my grandparents till he got him self on his feet and steady!!!!! my fiancee was a single dad and it worked out great with a str8 A student
    shanese83

Answer by shanese83 at 11:36 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• They need follow through. You need to let them realize not everyone leaves and they CAN depend on you. Give them a big hug for me please! I will never understand how a mother can do that.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 11:38 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• if u are unable to care for the child take the child to social services so they can find the child a good home for those who cant have children this is a blessing, as well for the child cause the child dont deserve to live a unhappy life because of a mom that might leave her and or did leave her. but if u can care for the child love that child to there is no end!
    Careyworries

Answer by Careyworries at 11:53 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Love and Cuddles
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 12:53 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I would love to take care of a couple of sisters. . . . we have three boys and no girls and hubby and I are in our late 40's. Just sayin'.

Anyway, love them, love them, love them. Just take one day at a time. I said a prayer for all those concerned in this situation. God bless you and your friend for being there for them.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 7:51 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Kids respond to love and consistency. Show them lots of genuine affection but also give them boundaries and structure so they have something firm to count on (all of which I'm sure you are doing). In some ways, it's nice that you have so much time with them... you can be a HUGE positive influence in their lives this way. Could you get the 4 year old to "help" with some things? Even something little... She's old enough that she might actually feel proud of having some "grown-up" jobs and it might help to combat some feelings of helplessness.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:42 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• you are seeing one side of the issue with the whole mom left - dad with custody. Try to remain neutral and just love them as they go through this tough time. Those girls need a positive roll model and a non-judgemental one at that. Good luck!
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 11:04 PM on Mar. 24, 2011