Do you think it's acceptable to email or text your employer that you won't be at work today?

personally i believe that is either being a coward or lying. we all know things come up but if you're going to call out atleast have the decency, courage & professionalism to call your boss. if i were running a business that would not be tolerated because i would assume you're lying if you weren't man or woman enough to call me. my friend asked this question earlier on FB so just curious how others felt.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 11:22 AM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Money & Work

• that is so wrong. I do not know any jobs that would tolerate that.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 11:23 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• i think a phone call is more appropriate
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:23 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• If the employer allows it, it IS acceptable.

I taught. When I was ill I called the automated sub line, and requested a sub. I never had to talk to anyone in person. As a courtesy I e-mailed my principal to let her know a sub would be in for me. She accepted that. :)

If it is NOT accepted, don't do it.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:33 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Text, no. But if you try to call and cannot reach your supervisor I think an email is appropriate.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:24 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I think it depends on where you work. I work for an attorney who is really down to earth. We are friends as well as boss/employee. He will text me to come into his office if he needs something. lol So, with us he doesn't mind a text or call. Wouldn't email though.
    dpriser

Answer by dpriser at 11:26 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• No, and no.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:28 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• my job demands a phone call, anything else is subject to disciplinary actions.

beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:31 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Only if you can't reach them by phone, like they don't answer. I also don't feel it's appropriate for an employer to text an employee but my DH's boss does this. It just seems unprofessional to me.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:33 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Emailing is totally acceptable in my job. My boss is often on the road and in meetings. We all telecommute. It is rare that we speak on the phone. 95% of our communication is done over email.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:44 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• It depends on your boss. My current boss is fine with an email. My previous boss wanted a phone call.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 11:49 AM on Mar. 24, 2011