Is this how labor starts???

so yesterday i woke up and had this really sharp pain in my lower back on the right side...it has continued to get worse and worse and every now and then ive noticed a little cramping in my stomach..im 39 weeks today and have a dr appt this afternoon...im just wondering if im freaking out over nothing or if i could be starting labor or if its just late pregnancy pains like other people have told me..they keep saying i havent nested i havent lost my mucus plug but i dont think that i have to do either one to be in labor..ive also been feeling pressure but not as much as i have been the last week...im so confused

ahsot1230

Asked by ahsot1230 at 11:28 AM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Definitely could be since you're so close. With my DS I didn't lose my mucas plug, maybe it came out when the broke my water? He was two days late. And with my DD I lost my mucas plug the day before she came, but never went through the nesting stuff that time around. Good luck at your dr this afternoon, hopefully today's the big day!!!
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 11:31 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• it's probably the first signs but it could still be up to a couple more weeks for full on labor to begin i had a baby 6 weeks ago i had alot of pain and always thought it was almost time but it took 2-3 weeks before i had him
    wells2811

Answer by wells2811 at 11:32 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Nesting isn't a requirement for labor... And mucus plugs? I've had 3 children and didn't lose mine until I was actually in the hospital for labor and delivery.

It does sound like it could be labor, but remember, doesn't mean that delivery is close... Some people can have labor contractions for a few days before the actual delivery (they can start out light and then get worse--when they get worse, it's "active labor").
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 11:33 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I'm with laird.  I didn't lose my mucus plug until I was in decent labor, never before.  With this one I've done that darn nesting thing but I didn't notice doing that with my other 3.  You are right to think that you don't have to do either to be in labor.  And labor is different for everyone.  You could be in labor or you could not be.  Luckily your going to the Dr. today and they might be able to tell you whether you are or not.  Don't get discouraged though if they tell you that you aren't.  I was told that I wasn't with my last baby but sure enough, yes I was.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:38 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• You are right that neither the mucus plug nor the nesting are requirements for labor. I would see if they wanted to monitor you for contractions while you are at the doctor's office. That could be the pain you are feeling, and I am betting they might want to check your cervix too.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:23 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Could be.
    Samanthamommy

Answer by Samanthamommy at 12:47 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• i would say u are close to labor!
    mommie_of02

Answer by mommie_of02 at 5:46 PM on Mar. 24, 2011