Breastfeeding

What are the easiest/best ways to breastfeed in public discreetly? I use a shawl but it seems to be such a pain sometimes. Esp because my son weighs almost 14lbs and I have to carry him and worry about the shawl staying in place

-lovingliam-

Asked by -lovingliam- at 11:31 AM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am not a big fan of covering my baby's head to eat. I wear belly bands that "convert any shirt into a nursing shirt". They cover from your hips to your bra line so your tummy isn't exposed, then I just let the shirt fall back. Nobody sees anything. In cooler weather, I might bunch a blanket up BEHIND the baby's head to block the view of other people, but never over my child and never where it interferes with my ability to monitor and bond with my baby.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:20 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• We have one of those MOBY carriers, it covers up everything. Most people don't even know its happening, except other mommys :)
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 11:33 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Wrap. Or just lift your shirt, latch, let the shirt fall back. I was more discreet that way than with ANY cover.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:35 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• They have these covers that hang around your neck....that's what i used. I still had a hard time sometimes...I have huge boobs and it would always take him awhile to latch on and I always had to check and be sure his nose was clear. Overall, the cover hanging around my neck helped.
    CollinsMommy729

Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 11:36 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• thats why i was trying to figure other ways. I wana be sure i can see him. I wear shirts that make it easy to access just by pulling the top to one side and only exposing the one breast & nothing else
    -lovingliam-

Comment by -lovingliam- (original poster) at 12:28 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• With the cover I had I was able to see him.....it poked out so I could look down and see my baby.
    CollinsMommy729

Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 12:54 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• HOOTER HIDER!!! Not sure the company who makes it but the name of the cover up really is the hooter hider. It's a really light weight piece of fabric, in pretty designs no less, and it goes over your head. There is a wire in it, shaped kind of like a head band, so that it sticks out just enough that you can look down at your baby nursing but no one else can see. I'm not explaining it very well but if you google it you'll see what I'm talking about. I got one when DD was about 4 months old and was like where has this been all my life? I hated covering her up to nurse in public, like she was in some dark nursing cave, but with the hooter hider I could still see her and she could see me and because it loops over your head it can't slip off even if you are moving around.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:33 PM on Mar. 24, 2011