What can I do to child-ABLE (not child-proof) our house?

My EDD is about a month away and I'm looking for ways to make the postpartum time easier on everyone. DD is about 3.5 and is very willing so I wanna make more things around the house easier for her to do. (I'm talking about little things for herself; not cooking, doing dishes, taking the dogs for a walk, cleaning the litter box or anything adults should be doing.) I just ordered some of those light switch extenders so she can turn the lights on and off without help or a step stool. I leave her step stool in the bathroom and her potty seat on the toilet so she can go and wash her hands on her own. I put her underwear, socks, and pajamas in a plastic drawer on the floor so she can put them on or change them on her own if she feels like it. Everything in her playroom is in her reach and organized. I tied her chair to our table and put a step stool next to it so she can get up and eat (we have a tall dining room set) without help or falling. My next thought was a few dishes and food in her reach. Like moving her favorite cool things to the bottom of the fridge and putting a few cups and her favorite dry things in a basket near the table (instead of on a high pantry shelf) and putting them in easy to open/close ziploc bags so she doesn't have to fight with opening packaging. I have an easy to use water dispenser I can put low for her to fill her own water cups. Any other ideas for helping a kid her age have more freedom to do things? I don't wanna simplify some things like watching tv (I've intentionally complicated that one) or going outside without help for obvious reasons. Just helpful or productive things a 3 yr old would be happy to accomplish on her own. If anyone has gotten crafty with this, I'd love to see pictures.

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 11:34 AM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sounds like you've got it down! Nice work, especially being that close.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 11:36 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• we have plastic dishes for our kids in a special place where they can reach them at any time. We also used to get one of those play yard fences that we would have in a section of of the room that would be just baby toys that way my oldest didnt have to hide all her non baby friendly toys.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 11:38 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• All of my DDs snacks are in the lazy susan, so if she wants a snack she can get it herself, and set herself up at her small elmo table. She asks permission first. I allow her to open the fridge and grab what she wants to drink as well. I pour it for her, but she gets everything out. I have her put dishes in the sink when she is done.

She uses her stool for handwashing in the bathroom. Lights, she can just reach. Toys, those have always been accessible. We have a toy box upstairs and down stairs. We have shelves with her games and books on them, which she can reach.

She dresses herself. She can open her dresser drawers to get out her underpants and pajamas, pants and shirts, etc. I have her help with baby brother by getting me diapers and wipes when I need them, or an extra shirt for her baby brother if he needs it.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:40 AM on Mar. 24, 2011