Does God ever speak directly to women in the Bible?

I've found passage after passage about how little God thinks of women, starting with his first female creation, Eve, who was a great disappointment to him. From that first creation, and the sin that she committed, he calls us the property of our husbands, punishes us forever by cursing us with painful births (Gen 3:16), which make us "unclean", saying that our lives are only worthwhile if we bear sons (we can die happily if we bear our husbands a son), wants to see all males three times a year (Ex 23:17) , but seems to never want to see women. 

He has approved, and even gives directions for, the sale of daughters (Ex 21:7), the purchase of virgins (Ex 22:16),  encourages polygamous marriages (only the men get multiple spouses), giving directions on how to take a second wife (Ex 21:10). and even married men having concubines.  Women are rarely mentioned in a positive light in the Bible, except in relation to their husbands or fathers, and in that capacity, as their property. 

He has declared women to be unclean for a week after giving birth to a son, unclean for two weeks after giving birth to a daughter, and must make a sacrifice to God for her sin of giving birth (Lev 12:12-12:18).

Through all of that, as far as I can find, he has never, ever spoken directly to a woman, but sometimes to women through their husbands.  Is there something I missed?  Does God ever speak directly to a woman in the Bible?  If not, why not?  Does he ever look kindly on women, except for the rare, unblemished virgin?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 11:55 AM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Keep in mind the bible was written by men.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 12:02 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Eve, Hagar, Sarah, Mary (mother of Jesus), Mary (mother of James), Mary Magdalene & Salome. Of these, God spoke to Eve directly and to the other 6 through an angel. God also spoke directly to one female animal through an angel: Balaam’s donkey.

Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 12:15 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I think the ones listed above ^ are correct. I guess how many depends whether you still consider it to be 'speaking directly' if it's through an angel.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:34 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I see the stories that you refer to, Renee. The only time he spoke directly to a woman was when he told Eve that she will be punished for her part in the Garden of Eden by being subjected to man (Gen 3:16). The other times he deigned to speak to a woman was through an angel--and each time it was about bearing sons. He did speak directly to men at least six times, and in most cases, it was in a more positive light (in other words, not condemning them to pain, suffering and subjugation).

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 12:57 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Some women, aside from the fact that there is pain in childbirth, yearned for children. Would you consider your children a blessing or a condemnation of pain? Culture today is obviously not what it was back then...things were different even in Jesus' time compared to then.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 1:18 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• How do you feel about god, according to the Old Testament, deliberately making childbirth painful to women as a punishment? Naturally, I agree that having children is a wonderful thing, and I loved feeling them grow within me. . . but since God is omnipotent, he had the ability to make childbirth an easy, pain-free experience, but he wanted to make it painful--and then he declared that women were unclean after giving birth. He seems to have a strong dislike for women in the Old Testament, and gives them very little thought at all in the new one. What are your thoughts on that?

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 1:23 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• We are unclean after birth, are we not? Women back then did not have the sanitary napkins we women use today. So when the women were menstruating it was messy and they were in fact unclean. Anything they touched became “contaminated” with their blood, and anyone who touched them needed to wash themselves. It was simply for sanitary purposes

The practice of polygamy is clearly found in the Old Testament. Abraham, Jacob, David, and Solomon are prime examples of Old Testament saints who practiced polygamy. But it must be clearly stated that just because they had multiple wives, doesn't make it right! At no time does God condone or place His "seal of approval" upon the polygamous practices of these men. In fact, God warned Solomon well in advance to NOT practice polygamy:

Man and woman were made to compliment each other. We each have different "roles".
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 1:36 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• As a Christian, I do not see hate or dislike to women. You can't just read the words and expect to know what they mean without having done any historical research, or thought.

If I stub my toe, it hurts! If I cut myself chopping a carrot, it hurts! Why would it be any different when you squeeze something so large out of a hole so small?
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 1:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

•  It was simply for sanitary purposes.

If that's the only reason, then why must men do a thorough cleaning if they even touch a woman when she is on her period?  Why are women "unclean" for only a week after bearing a male child, but "unclean" for two weeks after bearing a female one?  Leviticus 15 is all about how unclean a woman is, and goes through great pains to warn men that if they touch a women who's menstruating, he has to bathe himself, and wash anything that he has touched, and go to a priest to atone for touching a woman on her period.  It's like cooties to the nth degree.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 2:03 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Well, since Jesus is God in Human Form, I'll say yes. Actually God thinks very highly of women. It was women who found Jesus' tomb empty on the 3rd day, just as He said. It was women who followed Jesus to the cross, with the Apostle John, when all the other Apostles had abandoned Him. It was women who went and spread the news to the Apostles that Jesus had risen from the dead. And, Jesus talked to women all the time. This, of course, is just my take on it all, as I've studied the Bible, and how I see it. Others may see it differently.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 2:14 PM on Mar. 24, 2011