Clothes line??

I have been thinking about getting a clothes line to hang my clothes out on. Just trying to find ways to save money. My utility bill is usually 150-200 a month depending on how much the heat or air is used. My dryer is electric and I have a family of 5, so I am doing laundry aaalllll the time. About how much do you think I could save a month? Any help will be appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Home & Garden

• It depends. We have no idea how energy efficient you appliances are.
    Anonymous

• quite a bit.. most dryers are energy hogs!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:08 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• In the summer I love to hang out our clothes!  The smell is amazing!  If I remember correctly we, a family of 5, saved about 50 bucks a month in the summer.  And our heater runs on both electric and gas.  We run air conditioners so it probaly would have been more savings if we hadn't of ran those.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:08 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Probably about $20 per month, I do have to dry towels, and jeans, they get pretty stiff hanging outside, but I love the smell of air dried clothes!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:11 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• If your bill is say 150 a month, then NOT using the dryer ever in a month will only take about 10-15 off your bill. Look around your house and see what's plugged in that really dosnt need to be plugged in. Even a Wii when off is drawing power. Same with a phone charger that's not in use. And your PC monitor is an electric sucking hog, so shut the monitor off when you arnt using it and turn off the screen saver because that makes the hard drive run and use more power than you think. Even on a new flat screen monitor, it's allot of power usage. Also turn your fridge and freezer down, or up as it were. No need to have it set to it's coldest temp.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:12 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Oh and I didn't have one of those energy star appliances so I'm not sure how much, if any, savings I'll see this year now that I do have those.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:34 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• 70
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 10:54 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• my bill usually goes down about 40-50 in the spring/summer. I hang practically everything. The stiff stuff - can go in the dryer for 5-10 mins when brought in to soften them up.
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 11:19 PM on Mar. 31, 2011