What to do about my cat?

My cat is about 8 or 9 months old, spayed, still has her claws and well taken care of. She is indoors only, and that is where the problem is. She CONSTANTLY wants to get outside. I have no idea why, she doesn't like it really, and everything scares her. We live close to a busy road, and our neighbors don't pay attention where they are going or what's going on around them when they are driving or pulling in/out of the lot(example- one hit me squarely in the side because he forgot to look as he was backing up and FLOORED it as I was driving by to leave the parking lot. Genius, I know.). What can I do? Is there a way I can make her stop trying to get out of the house all the time? It's awful, and I feel like a horrible pet mommy when she looks up at me and meows wanting outside, but I don't want her to get hurt or anything!

lovingmy4babies

Asked by lovingmy4babies at 12:16 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Pets

• Get some cat nip and distract the kitty. Stoned kittys dont want to go outside. LOLOL Its only natural for it to want to be outside. Maybe if you got her at the shelter she was a feral cats litter?
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:19 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I have a friend that built a small outdoor area for her cats that was completely enclosed. The entry was through a catdoor placed in a window. It worked great, her cats loved to go outside, but they were still save. She used chicken wire and 2x4s.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:20 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• U r a good cat mom. Cate r curious,it is their nature. U r doing right,don't let her go out. As for your neighbor,I hope they r paying for damaging your car! If not sue them,I would!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:20 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• She was a rescue- the lady I got her from found her in the woods, so I suspect the mother was feral. I'll definitely try the catnip thing!
    lovingmy4babies

Comment by lovingmy4babies (original poster) at 12:21 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I had a cat that I walked on a leash. Years ago, we lived in a apartment and it was the only way he could go outside. Other people thought I was crazy but who cares? Now, I let my cats outside in a colapsable wire dog crate (without the tray in the bottom). That way it's nothing perminant and doesn't take up much space when I bring it inside. The cats can lay in the grass and get sun but they can't get hurt.
    knappkin

Answer by knappkin at 12:52 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Knappkin- that's a great idea, and I even have a large collapsible wire dog crate! I am not sure how she would like being walked, but I think I'm going to try and get her used to a leash and harness. Thanks for the ideas!
    lovingmy4babies

Comment by lovingmy4babies (original poster) at 12:55 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Take her to the park on leash and harness or make her something like a dog run out of chicken wire. light weight, cheap, and will keep your kitty in her safe zone. (Just remember to put a roof on it so they don't climb out.) She can go outside and still be safe from traffic and reckless neighbors and then, if you move, you just pull it down and fill in the small holes where the wooden stakes were.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 1:57 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Keep a spray bottle by the door. When you are leaving just pick up the bottle and show it to her. She may only need to be sprayed once or twice to get it. When coming in I always put my foot in the door as soon as its cracked. But I used to ring the bell before opening the door (my cat was scared of the bell since he saw what happened on Halloween- he didn't like kids)
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 3:57 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I have a cat that I found with her litter under our lawnmower when they were 2 weeks old. They had been indooor only and when the kittens were about 5 or 6 months old Penny decided she just had to go outside. She can be very bull headed and everything I did to deter her failed. I ended up putting a harness on her and leash and allowing her to go outside. She will be 3 years old this summer and does not want to leave the house anymore.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:01 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• try a leash. I've owned several cats that loved being on a harness/leash to go outside. one even rode on my shoulder on a leash when I walked outside. you'd be amazed how accepting most are of them!
    spastic_poodle

Answer by spastic_poodle at 12:01 AM on Mar. 25, 2011