How many months was your baby when you got his birth certificate?

and what happens if you dont go right away?

Mami9674

Asked by Mami9674 at 12:23 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• You 'll get it on the mail. Both of my sons were a month old when we got them.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 12:25 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Dd was 6 wks old
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 12:26 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I had to mail something in to my state to get it. It took about 6 weeks.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:26 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Nothing will happen if you don't get it right away. The hospitals where I have my children all included the birth certificate in all the fees so they came while the children were still very young, but I can't remember specifically as my youngest child is now 13 years old and that was a long time ago.

You just can't register for school, get a passport, etc. without a birth certificate.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:27 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• 2 years. In Indiana, they didn't automatically mail it. I had to go in and get it and pay for it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:27 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Every hospital and county are different. We got ours in the mail about 3 weeks after, but my sister had to pick her sons up....
    I think they just hold on to it, but you eventually need it for things like school
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:27 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Yes, I also had to send a form to the county where my sons were born to get their birth certificates. Nothing happens, if you don't get it right away, but I think you need it to get his social security number, and you will need that for your taxes. Also, you want to make sure there are no errors on it as soon as possible.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:29 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• *in not on (sorry)
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 12:31 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Left the hospital with it. Bought 3 copies of it right there.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:32 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• My DD is 4.5, and I just got hers yesterday. I was never sent one, and needed it for K registration. It was easy to obtain though.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:33 PM on Mar. 24, 2011