Their is a fine line between diciplineing your child and abuse!?

I've tried to punish and teach my 5 yr old about attitudes and talking back to adults but she only does it with me!!!!!! people have told me put her in the garage for 5 min or have her kneel on rice and hold her hands out some told me to whoop her but with the belt others have said beat her everyday till she understands !?!?!? I'f i tell her to stop jumping on the couch and I put her in the corner 10 min later she's back at it again then I'll give her pow pow and time out in the corner 10 min later she's doing it again , others have suggested to tell her tyhat I'm calling a new family for her?! what do I do

shanese83

Asked by shanese83 at 12:25 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Calling a new family for her?  That sounds a bit harsh.  Definitely not something I would say to my kids.  Kneel on rice?  I haven't heard that one before now.  Jumping on the couch?  I give one warning.  Don't listen, they get spanked.  With a belt?  Nah, I'll pass on that.  What the hell would putting her in the garage do?!  Mine would love to be in there exploring and finding new stuff to get into.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:28 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• OMG,,., don't lock her in the garage, she is 5 and maybe when she talks back to you just start agreeing with her, my 6 year old told me he wanted a new mommy who didn't make him mind,,, I said well I can understand that it is hard for you to mind, so lets get out the phone book and look up New Mommies for kids who want to do what they want>>>he was in shock, and guess what no listings in the phone book,,,LOL! I said there must not be mommies like that. We started a reward\take away chart. 5 star day he gets to have candy or a small toy,, bad day, no leapster or Sponge Bob.. it has worked amazingly well, and shame on anyone who would tell you to beat your kid, or make them kneel on rice,,that is abuse,,scary!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:30 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I feel like this.  When my children talk to me, I listen.  I don't moan and groan when they need me to get up for the umpteenth time to get them something.  If I ask them to do something, they need to listen.  Time outs in a CORNER never worked for my kids.  But the time for spanking has passed.  I found that my son HATES taking a time out on his bed.  And my 4 year old responds easiest to polite "low" talk.  Try different things and see what she responds to. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:31 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• lol my hair dresser told me to do the garage thing and it worked for her kid!!? but i'm still skeptical with the whole thing I've tried alot not all but a lot and seem to be getting no where
    shanese83

Comment by shanese83 (original poster) at 12:32 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• My husband and I spanked our children. We did not "whoop" them; we did not beat them; we did not abuse them in any way. We spanked them primarily for two things: disobedience and disrespect. When you tell a child to do something, and she doesn't do it--that's disobedience. It is also disrespect in that she does not honor you enough to do what you told her to do. I did not like to use my hands to spank, so I chose a small plastic flyswatter. It was known (and still is) as the instrument of discipline in our home. Our children are today full-grown adults with children of their own, and they are following our example of discipline. We have 6 grandchildren who are obedient, respectful, and well mannered children. The oldest is now 12, and when he sees a child who is being rebellious toward its parents, he will say, "That kid needs a good spanking!" Do you think he feels that he has been abused? I think not!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:33 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• the garage thing is the owrst you have said, then the rice! I am a spanker, and for my kids it works, but really it sounds like you are not consistant! If she keeps going back to the couch after her punishment, then guess what, you HAVE to make her do time out again, and agian and again until she is so tired of timeout that she doesn jump on the couch! Good luck!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:34 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I'm kind of lost on the rice thing.  What does that do?

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:36 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Wouldn't it be like sitting on a bean bag?

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:37 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• hmmmm.......
    shanese83

Comment by shanese83 (original poster) at 12:37 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I know, lol.  I'm lost on that one too.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:41 PM on Mar. 24, 2011