How do you deal with lawnmower sounds that scare your toddler?

Son is almost 4yrs old. He is highly sensitive to noises and as he grows, he seems to become more sensitive to noises that he was NOT previously alarmed by. Right not he is alarmed by the noise a weed eater makes and the noise a lawn mower makes. We live in the Louisiana and everybody is doing lawnwork. Does anyone have any good tips on how to deal with this?

CAMCHES

Asked by CAMCHES at 12:28 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I actually take my DD over to the thing making the noise and they turn it off and then turn it back on and we discuss how it really isn't scary and what it is used for. Mine is 2 1/2 almost 3 and it works great. Good luck. We have done this with the Vacuum, lawnmower, weed eater and a motorcycle.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:31 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Our toddler wont even go near the lawnmower or weed eater and panics when he sees it. He knows what it sounds like and now is refusing to go outside for fear of seeing or hearing a weed eater. This is tough as he used to love riding his trike to the playground but not anymore.
    CAMCHES

Comment by CAMCHES (original poster) at 12:43 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• My oldest daughter did that. She would actually tell me that it was going to kill her! I don't know where she got that because I have NEVER said anything of the sort to her and she is not allowed to watch any movies with violence and that is not approved for her age. She finally got over her fear on her own. Several time I tried to take her out to it and show her what it was and she would panic as well. I didn't want to force it. Eventually she was not scared of it anymore, but still knows that if it is on, we don't go near the "boo boo machine"
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 1:04 PM on Mar. 24, 2011