4 year old hits his head one EVERYTHING

I mean, he hits it as HARD as he can...is this normal?

GothicChk52

Asked by GothicChk52 at 12:37 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't know if it's normal, but I know I did it as a child, my son did it for a period of time at age 3, and I've heard of other children doing it. I think it's a trait found in children typically described as "stubborn", at least that's been my experience. When I was young, I would actually seek out corners of things, walls, tables, concrete steps. I would then wait until I thought my mom was watching, and bang my head as hard as I could. Then my mom said I would glare at her as if to say, "this is your fault, see what you've done?". My mom was greatly concerned I would do damage, but my pediatrician assured her although I may give myself a goose egg, I would never hit harder then what my body could tolerate. And she was right. My son went through it and would do it for attention, to get out of trouble because I would forget about being angry and run to sympathize with his pain. When I stopped reacting, (cont)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:45 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• he stopped doing it. When I stopped saying "oh it's ok," and comforting his boo boo, he realized well shoot, that doesn't work, and moved past it. It was hard to ignore because I knew he was in pain, but if the pain was self inflicting, and he wasn't bleeding, ignoring is exactly what I did and it only took twice for him to get the hint it wasn't going to get him out of trouble. Now once he calmed down I'd get him ice and say how silly that was, but mommy was sorry he was hurt, but I wouldn't acknowledge it at the time. So I don't know if it's really "normal", but I know your son is not the only one to do it, and in my experience they hit hard, but never hard enough to cause stitches or concussion or anything that negative. Just expect goose eggs.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• My DD went through a stage of doing that when she was about 2.6 -- I reminded her that it's NOT ok to hurt anyone and especially yourself! She grew out of it -- thank goodness!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 12:55 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• He's been doing it since he was 2. We don't acknowledge it anymore, and he still does it. Idk what to do anymore.
    GothicChk52

Comment by GothicChk52 (original poster) at 1:09 PM on Mar. 24, 2011