Your Baby Can Read

My aunt bought our 21 month old Your Baby Can Read. We have done it for about 3 weeks and she is not reading but you can tell she is learning to identify what something is from looking at its picture. Does anyone know how long it will take before they start reading?

alemlovo

Asked by alemlovo at 12:51 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Your child won't actually learn to read with that program. She might memorize the words, but it has been proven that it does not teach reading.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:52 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• The more consistent you're with your baby the faster she'll learn. Do you practice every day?
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 12:53 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I saw something (maybe it was 20/20 or Nightline) about this guy. Didn't look very legit. You're only teaching your child to memorize, not to actually read or sound things out phonetically.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 12:54 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I taught my child myself, along with sending her to preschool she learned. As a matter of fact her teacher told me this morning that she is the best reader in her class. She is 4 years old.
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 12:54 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• My children had that "system".  CraftingMama is absolutely right.  It does not teach phonics period.  It's a few choice words that they will memorize.  I wasted time and energy doing that system and have had to start all over in my efforts.  Thanks to the women of Cafemom with their opinions I got on the right track to teaching my little ones phonics.  Start with the ABCs, after those are able to be identified, move on to writing them.  Then words.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:54 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• She loves the book, so we do it everyday. the video bores her but I will put it on more consistently.
    alemlovo

Comment by alemlovo (original poster) at 12:55 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/39953918/ns/today-money/

Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 12:56 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Isn't reading mostly memorizing words? lol
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 1:07 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• If you never teach a child how to sound out words phonetically, how are they going to approach a new word they've never seen before? I really think phonics is important.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 1:09 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Hmm well, she has learned to identify an elephant or a gorilla or her nose, etc. by pointing, but she's not reading.She can now growl when she sees the tiger and meow when she sees the cat and so on so she has definitely learned a few things. Since it was a gift I will keep on using it but I will not expect her to actually read anything, and thanks for the advice on the alphabet. I will try that more traditional route.
    alemlovo

Comment by alemlovo (original poster) at 1:18 PM on Mar. 24, 2011