Excercise After Birth

I just had my little girl almost 4 weeks ago now, and (although I know its a little earlier) I'm getting antsy to get started on going to work on getting in shape. Or at least back to my original weight. The only thing is that I had her c-section and I'm not sure when I'm allowed to start excercising again. I still have two weeks till I go to the doctor, but I'm curious.

DellaF88

Asked by DellaF88 at 10:54 AM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• You can always call your doc to ask. But if you are feeling well, you can start small with going for walks. If its cold, bring the baby to the mall to walk. Good for you for being healthy!
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 11:11 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• i didn't have a c section, but started running at 4 wks. just do light exercise.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 1:12 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Walking is a GREAT exercise for new moms. It gets you outdoors, gets you out of the house and baby usually enjoys the stroll, too. You burn the same amount of calories walking as you do running, distance wise. It's about 100 calories a mile. Take it slow at first. At your half-way point, stop and take a 5 minute rest. Do a light stretch and some toe raises (just go up and down on your tip-toes) or some squats or leg lifts.
    If it's too cold to walk outdoors where you live, hit the mall. Some malls even have walking paths mapped out so you know how far you've walked. Check at the information desk.
    Kegels are another important exercise. Even if you had a c-section, your pelvic floor is still weak and stretched from the weight of the baby pressing down on it.

Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 12:44 AM on Nov. 27, 2008