HELP 4 year old

He goes through these stages, usually a day at a time, where he doesn't listen to ANYTHING. Any time we put him in time out, he hits, kicks, punches, bites, tells us he hates us/doesn't like us. We're at our whits end. Any ideas?

GothicChk52

Asked by GothicChk52 at 1:13 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My 3-1/2 year old is doing the same thing... ugh
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:14 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• That needs to stop NOW. My son never hit us although I think my 1 yo might be going down that road... what a temper lol
    First you need to tell him that it's ok to be mad, but hitting and biting are not ok. Don't yell when he yells, it just adds fuel to the flames. Put him in his room and walk awa. When he's calm he can come out and you can talk calmly about why he upset and why he has to listen to you anyway. 4 is too big to be getting away with temper tantrums.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 1:22 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• The harsh words and lashing out are all to get a reaction out of you. If they're freaking like that it's working because you aren't supposed to like time out! You're doing fine and sometimes kids go through these fazes. Have there been any changes lately? New baby, going to preschool, anything that he might find threatening or difficult to adjust to? That can cause this behavior as well. If nothing is new, it's probably just a phase and it'll pass. Just stay consistent and he'll come around. :)
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 1:29 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• The only thing I can think of is him starting head start back in Sept, but he wasn't like that then. It's just gotten worse since his father had the new baby and he refuses to go over there. I can't let him scream and cry like that...it breaks my heart.
    GothicChk52

Comment by GothicChk52 (original poster) at 4:24 PM on Mar. 24, 2011