Is breastfeeding and formula feeding ok?

I am primarily breastfeeding and I just wanna know if its ok to supplement with formula every once in a while if I am out in public and its more convenient just to make a bottle instead of finding a place to breastfeed.... is this ok to do every once in a while? has anyone else done this?

jbrogdon5

Asked by jbrogdon5 at 1:17 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, it is okay. Some people are anti-formula and will tell you that it is bad. But it isn't. Formula is harder to digest than breast milk, so watch out for tummy issues in the beginning.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 1:18 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• We did that all the time when my daughter was a newborn, especially since she had trouble latching at first and I couldn't always pump enough milk. It's fine to supplement with formula occasionally.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 1:19 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Yes, I did that with my 4th and 5th because I just couldn't pump enough. They both did fine with it.

Answer by missanc at 1:19 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• You will want to watch out for stomach upset. Some babies can't handle being switched, others can.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:20 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• It's fine but baby might not like it, and it could affect your supply if you do it too often, and baby could stop wanting to nurse because the bottle will be easier to feed from.
    Anonymous

• I did this. I waited to introduce any bottles or formula until nursing was well established. I also will admit that once I started with the bottles of formula that my milk supply did dwindle so just watch for that if you are skipping feedings. And in some ways the bottle is convenient but you have to bring everything, have it measured to mix or keep it cold, wash it out or put it back in the diaper bag all milky, etc, so I usually just put on the hooter hider and nursed wherever I had to in public.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:25 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Yes, I did that, it's fine.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:27 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I did when with my oldest. I had a hard time bringing my milk in at first and had to supplement with formula. Pedi suggested a soy formula because it is easier for baby to digest.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 1:42 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• yes, it is completely okay to supplement. I did with my youngest and he was a very healthy, happy baby. Formula can be harder on their little tummies though, may want to try a soy based formula...just a suggestion.
    sdks2011

Answer by sdks2011 at 3:24 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• If yu want to sure, BUT be aware that this can lead to all the same risks as formula feeding. It can lead to shorter time BFing, it cna lead to nipple preference and it can lead to weaning.

Theres no reason to find a place to nurse, get a wrap or sling and you can nurse while shopping or whatever.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 3:41 PM on Mar. 24, 2011