Have you ever been pressured to have a hysterectomy or a tubal?

One of the nurses at my OB, with my last(4th) pregnancy, did everything but demand I sign papers to have a tubal or hysterectomy! She tried telling me any number of scary statistics from I'd have babies with birth defects to I might DIE. Nice, huh? And this was already after I'd talked to my OB about it, and he had said that because I was so young and my uterus was in such good shape I should leave everything alone! Which is exactly how I feel- if it were meant to come out, it'd fall out when you're done having kids! lol You should have seen her face when I told her THAT :)

lovingmy4babies

Asked by lovingmy4babies at 1:24 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• The opposite, actually. I would like to have my tubes tied but since I am under 30 with only one child no doctor will do it.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 1:26 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Yes I have.  My Midwife is currently pushing birth control on me.  I am pregnant with our 4th.  Like you, there is nothing wrong with me that anyone can see.  I have gotten sick of it and now am going to tell her that how many children I have is of no concern to her and if she has a problem with how many children I have I can find somewhere else to be seen.  She doesn't know that my hub is planning a vasectomy after this one.  I just feel like if I choose to have a lot of children, that is my own choice, and just because she doesn't think it's "right" doesn't make it true. I agree with you.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:29 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Yep. I have fibroids, and one of the options is hysterectomy, but it isn't the ONLY option, and I am choosing to make my own decisions about my body. What's funny about this is that it isn't the doctors that are urging this...it is a couple of friends! They had hysterectomies, and that is fine, that is their decision, but do not seem to think I can make my own....irritating.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 1:35 PM on Mar. 24, 2011