Anyone dealt with a loved one that has Fibromyalgia? Sicknesses and they aren't dealing well with it?

My husband has in the last 3 yrs, had a machine fall on his at work, been in a bad car accident, had surgery, been diagnosed with fybromyalgia. He is grouchy, hateful and in pain. He is tired of dealing with docs, meds that make him feel weird and/ or may work for a bit then stop working and told me he is ready to go that he is tired of not having a life. He still works full time as do I and we have three kids ages 17,15,and 2. His hatefulness is affecting them as well. Suggestions and help?? He has told me he is going to try to get off all the meds ( not sure he will even go back to doc again). Need help on how to deal with this, if I make suggestions or comments about things he gets mad even if I am just trying to help.

MommaB0334

Asked by MommaB0334 at 1:35 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Health

• I so understand how your husband feels...I have been doing this for 20 years....I have an autoimmune disorder, too........I also can feel for you as it has put my whole family through hell....Try looking at alternative medicines......perhaps a raw foods diet for a while....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 1:38 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I have Fibro, and I finally took myself off of the meds- they were making me worse. He's going to have to figure it out himself. Give him a wide birth, and try to get into counseling. Chronic pain is nothing to mess with, but being a bitter jackass isn't excusable either. I know how he feels though... be supportive, but don't get walked on. Easier said than done.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:39 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Not a family member but I lost a best friend to the illness. She was the same way and got hooked on medications. It was so awful. She would take so much and literally one day fell asleep (passed out) watching her son. Another time she was driving around and got lost in her own neighborhood & ended up being commited. Another time she was supposed to feed my cats while I was at my moms & thought my husband (now ex) had done something to me (we werent even fighting then mind you lol) and had the police come into my house and make sure I wasnt dead.
    I really think for her it was all the medication. Maybe your husband would do better not being on it, and starting over or finding someone to treat him both mind & body. Good luck.

Answer by gemgem at 1:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• There's a book called " Healing with whole foods" by paul pitchford. Its a must to heal without western meds. Keep the love, take warm baths, give massage... good luck hang in there. My friend has it and she's finnally feeling better after quitting a stressful job and becoming a nanny.
    sabianmom

Answer by sabianmom at 1:42 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Poor thing. I have Fibro, and in fact, just came from my doctor's trying to figure out SOMETHING that will help with the pain. I can totally sympathize with your husband, and with you. Bless your hearts. I honestly can't imagine going off my meds, maybe I am hooked, but I know I seemed to feel wose without them. Best wishes to you and your family. You all will be in my prayers.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 1:58 PM on Mar. 24, 2011