My gift card expired last month & it had $200 left on it....

When i look it up it said that i have an available balance of $200. I wonder why it doesn't say $0 balance? Would i still be able to use it & has anyone else tried this. I am so sick & tired of these dumb expiration dates. Seriously they need to do away with that crap already!

iluvmykidsxoxo

Asked by iluvmykidsxoxo at 1:39 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Money & Work

• OP - I've had that happen and in my case many years ago the new owners did not have to honor any of the old gift certificates and didn't. They at least at that time were legally within their rights. Hopefully things have changed and maybe the new owner would be willing to at least give you half. Good Luck
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:45 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I think legally gift cards cannot expire. Try calling the number on the back of the card and ask them.
    Anonymous

• They just changed the laws on this .... I can't remember what it was , but I think the government won't allow gift cards to expire anymore....
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 1:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• i would still try and use it
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 1:40 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Try and use it. Maybe because it wasnt less then a few bucks they didnt let it expire?

Answer by gemgem at 1:42 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Many of them will reactivate them for a small fee which can be subtracted from the balance of the card. I don't like the fee part. But, it's better than losing the whole balance. I would call customer service to see what their policy is.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:43 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• they usually charge a fee, but I would use it today!!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:52 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• So i looked up that they did pass a law & in some places it doesn't expire anymore. I live in Texas but i cant find anything on it here. Can someone help me? I called the owner of the salon & she said i cannot use it because the old owner does not work there anymore. I don't see how that would affect anything.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Comment by iluvmykidsxoxo (original poster) at 2:00 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• If the business sold you may not be able to use it. When I bought a clothing store a few months ago I did not buy any outstanding credit...gift certificates or otherwise. The previous owner had a bad habit of throwing that stuff around right and left without ever keeping a record..to make things worse she used generic forms that any idiot could buy at Office Depot. My sales contract with her actually said I was not responsible. When people would come in I would give them her number. She was supposed to make good on them..and she did for about a month!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:35 PM on Mar. 24, 2011