Booster seats until 12?

Gosh, I wonder if I am one of those evil mothers o_0 I left Colton rear facing until his legs started hitting the back of the chair, fearing that if we got into a car wreck his legs would be smashed, so I turned him around about 14 months. But reading this, I can't imagine for one second me forcing my 12 year old to be is some sort of boster seat. I think back to when I was twelve, and "super cool" and a "teenager" I would have murdered my mother if she went to pick up my friends for baseball or a sleepover and I had to sit in my car seat. I am one of those moms that remember not only SITTING on my dads lap, but also driving the car at 8 and lived to tell the tail.... I compleatly agree that if your under 13, or a certin hight or weight the front seat is no place to be. I plan on strickly following that rule, but I just can't imagine making him sit in a booster with all his friends around driving to football practice at 12. Gosh, bad mom award for me Lol

http://www.chicagotribune.com/

JnCV

Asked by JnCV at 2:02 PM on Mar. 24, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Lol, bad mom award for me too.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 2:04 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I'm with you! My 9 and 11 year old were both horrified at the thought of sitting in a booster seat when we heard the news. lol I thought keeping them in one until 8 was stretching it a little, but older than that? Unless they make it a law it's doubtful I will make my younger ones suffer through that. I will however keep my little one RF until she's older - but she's only 13 lbs at 8 months, very petite!

Answer by missanc at 2:04 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I am not going to have a 12 year old in a booster seat, lol. Sorry. That is ridiculous.
    I turned my two oldest kids around once I felt they were big enough (around 15 months)
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:05 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• LoL, same here. I jokingly told my 11 year old the other day we have to go out and get him a new car seat! LoL
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 2:05 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• sorry but that is STUPID. they changed the law to rear facing until 2 and booster until 12 and it really is a money making conspiracy, not about safety. i have a TALL 8 month old and there is NO way she'll be rear facing until 2. she'll break her legs if we get in an accident. 12 years old!!! that's way to old to be in a "kiddie" chair
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 2:06 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Nope, not going to happen! Do they think they can enforce a booster seat law on the driving adults who aren't the height or weight recommendations?
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 2:06 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• i agree i think its a bit ridculous what they are recommending. sure i understand the back seat thing but i too took my kid out of the rear facing carrier when she no longer fit into it. and that was at eleven months (she was tall for her age) i just could see smooshing her into it and how uncomfortable she was. now at 4 i can hardly keep her in the booster without her sliding it out from under her and sitting in the regular seat much less until she is 12. i guess im a bad mom too.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 2:06 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• There's no way I would put my 7th grader in a friggin booster seat. I think this whole booster seat thing is getting out of control.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 2:07 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• momofone...it's not law. Just recommended for now.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 2:07 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• What an april fool's joke to play on your kid if he/she is being a stinker lol
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 2:07 PM on Mar. 24, 2011